Intermediate housing lubrication 2010 VX

The owners manual on my 2010 VX Cruiser states to lube the intermediate housing at the 10 hour service and annually. Does anyone know how much grease I should add - and where is the fitting(s)? The 2010 manual says everything to be done by a dealer!

In deciding between a 2009 and 2010, I happened to look at the 2009 manual and it mentions NOTHING about needing to lubricate the intermed. housing. I thought the 2009 and 2010 VX were identical (engine and pump) with just slightly different hull and ergonomics. The 2009 manual does say there are some DIY maintenance and explains how. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LTSG View Post
    The owners manual on my 2010 VX Cruiser states to lube the intermediate housing at the 10 hour service and annually. Does anyone know how much grease I should add - and where is the fitting(s)? The 2010 manual says everything to be done by a dealer!

In deciding between a 2009 and 2010, I happened to look at the 2009 manual and it mentions NOTHING about needing to lubricate the intermed. housing. I thought the 2009 and 2010 VX were identical (engine and pump) with just slightly different hull and ergonomics. The 2009 manual does say there are some DIY maintenance and explains how. Thanks.
    should be a zerk fitting on the starboard side of the oil resevoir

just a couple pumps will do you

+1
    Good discussion on this topic here: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=intermediate

2009 didn't have a greasable bearing. It was sealed.

I assume the fitting is next to the oil reservoir filler like the older FX HO's with the MR-1 engine. Looking at your owners manual for a 2010 it doesnt show it for sure. Who knows, might just be a typo in the manual. I haven't looked into the actual engine compartment of the 10' VX line yet.

Newer 1.8L ski's have the fitting co-located with the flush port.

I think it is purely a money making scheme to have have EVERY required maintenance required (recommended of course) to be done by dealer IAW the manual. After seeing what they actually do for your money they might as well rob me in the parking lot.

Thanks all for the info and tips. I'll take a look and report back. Seems strange they went from a sealed setup in '09 to one that now needs grease - unless it is a mistake in the manual.

+1
    Bearing is completely sealed. Grease outlet in carrier is between the 2 rear seals and designed to help lubricate seals and prevent water intusion. Very little grease is needed here and if to much is forced in it will just hydraulic the seals out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bearing.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	191798  

Thanks for the replies to this. I had a chance to look for the grease fitting/zerk for the interm. housing and can't find one on this 2010 VX cruiser! I'm new to PWC, but routinely do maintenance on my boat/cars so know something about what to look for. As I mentioned, I thought the 2010 is identical mechanically to the 2009 (and the 2009 manual mentions nothing about needing to lubricate the intermediate housing, just the 2010 manual). Could this be a typo in the manual? Or any other ideas where to look for this? Could it be that I need to take things apart to simply get to the grease fitting - because nothing is readily apparent??

Thread Information