Thread: Bilge Pump

Bilge Pump

I was looking at my local boat dealer for a bilge pump.

They have a Rule personal watercraft automatic 500GPH part# RUL-255-6WC. Is that similiar to the Rule-Mate 500A?

They also have an Attwood (Kimpex catalogue) stainless 3/4" straight thru-hull barbed Part# 66541-3.But it is a differnet part number than the one in the seadoo how to section?

I'm located in alberta,Canada and thought if I could purchase local I'd save on the shipping costs.

Anyone have some info advice from their bilge pump install?

thanks

+1
    When you glue the pump's mount onto the hull, be sure to
    1) clean the spot well to remove any oil
    and
    2) Let the glue dry a couple of days before fiddling with it

Since I have a depth finder transducer installed on that nice easily accessable flat spot, I mounted mine furthur to the stern-- more dificult to get to it. I got in a hurry, went to stick the pump on the mount and it came off- glue wasnt dry.

One last comment-- I place masking tape around the fiberglass edge when working in the hull-- keeps the glass fibers outta my arms !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    When you glue the pump's mount onto the hull, be sure to
    1) clean the spot well to remove any oil
    and
    2) Let the glue dry a couple of days before fiddling with it

Since I have a depth finder transducer installed on that nice easily accessable flat spot, I mounted mine furthur to the stern-- more dificult to get to it. I got in a hurry, went to stick the pump on the mount and it came off- glue wasnt dry.

One last comment-- I place masking tape around the fiberglass edge when working in the hull-- keeps the glass fibers outta my arms !

Good advice from Piney.

I installed the rule 750A a little while back and it was pretty easy. The "A" at the end of the number on the Rule designates the new design and uses a non mercury float switch along with a new casing. I installed mine without a switch by hooking up to the hot side of the ignition and Piney already covered the high points of the install. The only suggestion I would add is using automotive grade (heater or fuel line) hose instead of the typical stuff they sell for the bilge line.

thanks

hey guys,

thanks for the good advice!!!

There are two different pumps people seem to use. The kind that turns on regularly to check for water and the kind with a built in float. I chose the kind with a built in float...but it is just a preference...just know which one you are getting.

Also, there is a spot you can drill out in the pump shoe to put the exit hose to avoid drilling your hull, but then you won't see the water coming out. My on/off switch has a red light that will come on if the pump is running, so that is how I would know. Either way though.

Thread Information