Thread: Jetski fishing?

Question Jetski fishing?

Hey guys. I have a couple of questions about fishing from jetskis, so I thought I'd ask the guys doing it right now.

I just sold my pair of 2005 Yamaha FXHO Cruisers and I am looking at possibly replacing them with some newer skis. My first question is:

- What skis are you guys using and what do you like/ dislike about the ski you have?

I have been reading several website forums and I am still trying to get a good feel for what works and what doesn't. I have heard that if you are going offshore fishing that you should get a naturally-aspirated ski because the supercharged skis drink too much gas. Is this what you guys have found? I live in central FL so I have about an hour drive to either the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic ocean. Usually I take my fishing boat out to the Gulf. I am trying to get rid of my boat soon and just use the jetskis. Much more wallet friendly from what I can see.

I will be using the skis for about 60% play and 40% fishing. So I am looking for something that I can be comfortable on while doing both. I like the Yamaha FXHO skis, but they lack on the storage side of the equation. I have heard that the Kawasaki's are pretty good for fishing because they have like 60 gallons of storage on them and they have huge fuel tanks. Can anyone confirm this? Those of you that have FXHO skis, do you find that there isn't enough storage?

Thanks for any help on this guys. I have just started looking into this so all input is greatly appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piraya33 View Post
    Hey guys. I have a couple of questions about fishing from jetskis, so I thought I'd ask the guys doing it right now.

I just sold my pair of 2005 Yamaha FXHO Cruisers and I am looking at possibly replacing them with some newer skis. My first question is:

- What skis are you guys using and what do you like/ dislike about the ski you have?

I have been reading several website forums and I am still trying to get a good feel for what works and what doesn't. I have heard that if you are going offshore fishing that you should get a naturally-aspirated ski because the supercharged skis drink too much gas. Is this what you guys have found? I live in central FL so I have about an hour drive to either the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic ocean. Usually I take my fishing boat out to the Gulf. I am trying to get rid of my boat soon and just use the jetskis. Much more wallet friendly from what I can see.

I will be using the skis for about 60% play and 40% fishing. So I am looking for something that I can be comfortable on while doing both. I like the Yamaha FXHO skis, but they lack on the storage side of the equation. I have heard that the Kawasaki's are pretty good for fishing because they have like 60 gallons of storage on them and they have huge fuel tanks. Can anyone confirm this? Those of you that have FXHO skis, do you find that there isn't enough storage?

Thanks for any help on this guys. I have just started looking into this so all input is greatly appreciated.
    Hey Piraya... I'll give you my HO:

First, my platform is the SeaDoo RXT SC. There isn't much I don't like about my Doos (actually I have two of the same model). But I would say the worse part is having to rebuild the SC every 100 or so hours. But thats only about every 3 years, so far. And, as far as economy, I can go 75 miles on one tank of gas. That being said, would I get a new one for fishing? Not too sure - as I understand it, BRP reinvented the wheel w/the RXT. They shortened up the rear boarding platform and quite a bit of storage was remove under the hood.

Now, w/the Kawi, they have a known platform that rides great off-shore, has the largest fuel tank and the most internal storage. Of course, SeaDoo's new S-3 hull is said to be the contender for off shore riding (vs. the Kawi) but there is the lack of storage.

I still wouldn't be put off by the SC as far as economy tho, it really just depends on how much you want to spend or if speed is important to you. When I'm cruising 45mph+/-, my milage is equivalent to my my friend who has a NA Kawi Ultra. But if you wanna go fast, you gotta pay.

Other than speed/money. I'd tell you it's important to consider the rear deck of the craft (ie, can you put a fishing rack on it?) AND you def. want to stay w/the 3 seater for comfort and stability.

Let us know how you go, and welcome to the PWC fishing community.

I am running a FXHO cruiser and feel great out on the water. Plenty of storage on the bike as is, but you will want to instal some type of rack sytem to hold the extra gear need to fish with. We run a flat rack sytem, as we multi task our bikes for play, camping, fishing, and hunting. In my opionion, any large three seater bike will work fine out on the water, it will come down to your favorite brand. Fuel is the biggest thing. My buddy runs a SHO, and yes its faster out of the hole, but over all top end is near the same as my bike, but I am burning less fuel. Comfort will be the key as well, Since you cannot get up and walk around like on a boat deck, all the space you can muster up will be nice on those long days.

Thanks for the info so far. I went to a dealership and looked at a 2010 Kawasaki Ultra LX. I have to say that I was very impressed with the amount of storage space it has. I was skeptical when I read that it has 60 gallons of storage, but I was pleasantly surprised when the I opened the front hatch. There were a few things I didn't like about the Ultra LX though. First, is that the gauges are really small. Not a dealbreaker, but a little annoying I would think. Second, is that Kawasaki doesn't offer any type of cruise-assist on this ski. I plan on doing some trolling and I think the cruise-assist feature would really help out with that as well as when pulling a tuber/skier. The last thing I didn't like is that the engine has no cover. The Yamaha's and the Sea-Doo's I've been looking at both have some sort of cover for the engine. I'm not sure if it is there for some sort of protection or if it is just there for aesthetics, but the Kawasaki didn't have one. Can someone advise me on this? I plan on using the ski in fresh and saltwater so if it is there for engine protection, I would definitely want it to have it. I also like the fact that the Yamaha's have a fully colorized hull. The Kawasaki is only black on the bottom and the top is the terrible white color. Why didn't they make the whole ski one color? Anyways, can you guys give me your thoughts on anything I covered? Thanks again!

I know a lot of people dont care for Honda Skis but the F15X is a great ski from everything I have read. It is a big ski with pletny of room and is probably the most fuel efficient ski you can get new. I have the F12x and i can get around 110miles on my 16 gallon fuel tank its incredible. I have had mine for a season and have had NO problems whatsoever. It may be worth checking into as I heard it handles the rough water very nicely. Good luck....also IMO yamaha>kawasaki.

Cruise assist is a nice feature for those long runs, works great in smooth water. My buddies bike has it and yes he has used it to troll for king salamon. No worries on the the salt water useage, fresh water rinse both inside and out, and then a little WD-40 on the engine and salt will not stick. I think the yamahas are a bit better suited for salt use, as they have more outboard technology than some of the other brands, just my thought though.

Thread Information