Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 GTX high rpm bogg or dies completely

Last year I had a problem with my 96 GTX. At anything over 5500 rpm the engine feels like it was starving for fuel. Well I found this site over the winter and I replaced all the tempo lines and cleaned fuel filter, carb. filters, and the fuel select switch. I took it out today for the first time this year and I still have the same problem. I still think its starving for fuel because when it happens there is alot more blue smoke than usual like the engine is getting the oil but not the fuel. Now my question is where do I go next??? I was thinking about looking at the high speed jets I'm thinking they are either plugged or out of adjustment. I've got another small question, I have 290 hours on the original top end whats the life expectancy of one of these engines with proper maintence. I only run seadoo XPS or Amsoil Interseptor oil never mixed together. Thanks in advance.

+1
    I assume you are the same guy from Seadoo.net.

http://www.sea-doo.net/board/thread....=100338#997400

Over there, you state the the machine stalls. Your post here does not state that. Is it stalling or not? It makes a big difference.

Your new post sounds like it is the rectifier. Make sure you have a good charge on your battery, unplug the red wire from the rectifier in your front grey electrical box and take it for a spin. If it runs fine, replace the rectifier. Don't run it too long like this.

Probably a good time to do a compression check as well.

Nope I'm a different guy. The battery is brand new (first ride on it) and it has a full charge. If I stay in the throttle the engine when it loses power it will die, if i let off the throttle it keeps running. The rpms drop to between 2500 and 4000 depending on how early I let out. It only happens at about 6000rpm and above it will cruse at 5500rpm all day long no problems. I'll check the compression but whats the minimum that I'm looking for. I did it about 100 hours ago and it was about 155psi on both cyl. Thanks.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Your spark plugs will tell you if it's lean. Clean and brand-new looking is lean. Black is fouled. Did you disassemble the fuel pump on the front carb and check the mica check valves? You did get the internal filter screens inside each carb clean too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Your spark plugs will tell you if it's lean. Clean and brand-new looking is lean. Black is fouled. Did you disassemble the fuel pump on the front carb and check the mica check valves? You did get the internal filter screens inside each carb clean too, right?
    Here are the spark plugs
    front
    Attachment 191975
    rear
    Attachment 191976

I did not dissassemble the fuel pump. I did clean the internal carb filters fuel system cleaning is a great sticky by the way. I've played with lawnmower carbs but nothing this advanced so your going to have to spell out the procedure for dissassembling the pump and checking the mica valves.

Ok. The attachments didn't work. You may have to upload to photobucket and insert the link to it in your post.

Do the fuel pump like the rest of the carb. It is made to be reassembled without replacing gaskets. The mica check valves are what pumps the fuel, and the negative and positive pressure is created by the engine crankcase. The valves are retained by a rubber nipple, and if one breaks it will not pump enough fuel. Disassemble it and check it out, it's pretty self-explanatory once you get it apart.

Ok well try this:
    front
    http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d.../frontplug.jpg
    rear
    http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...t/rearplug.jpg
    In my opinion they do look a little lean but I'm no 2 stroke expert. If the negative and positive pressure acts on the mica valves then I would assume that they are near the pulse line inside the carb? As for the fix I'm in the process of moving so it might be a few weeks before it gets done.

first one looks good to me...second one looks a LITTLE darker(but it doesnt look bad enough for issues)...but that may just be the angle...remember you are looking at the porceline( i say that because many people see oil around the ring and think thats bad, they dont look at the porceline piece)...a good buring plug should look like a perfectly cooked marshmellow over a camp fire

good link for plugs
    http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...ugs/index.html

+1
    Have you tried using new spark plugs?

The second is too blurry to tell, and the first you can't see the porcelin too well, like 785XP said. Try to get a top view angle with the plug facing straight up.

The fuel pump is on the front carb, and yes, the pulse line connects to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information