Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ever drop a socket in the ski?

I feel pretty stupid right now... tonight I took the black piece that sits over top the engine off to look to see if the pump seal is causing the cavitation issues on my GTX. Indeed it appears as if she needs a new seal, there's a dark black ring on the hull around the driveshaft.

So I went to put the black plastic thing back together (is there a technical name for it?) and I was screwing the bolts back in by hand just using a socket without the wrench attached, and the socket slipped out of my fingers, presumably dropping to the deepest, darkest depths of the hull under the engine. Anyone have any ideas on getting it out? Already felt around for about half an hour with a magnet... no dice.

Is there anything it could get sucked into or damage if the ski is run with it down there? It can't be good bouncing around down there. Pictures of an empty hull might help if anyone has them so I can maybe see where it could have rolled. Thanks in advance...

10mm?

I ain't dropped that one yet. I lost my #8 torx socket in there...a coupla years ago. It musta entered the worm hole to another dimention that is located under the motor...never found it.

You can try securing the ski to the trailer...chocking the wheels...and lifting the toung till the license plates bend...it might roll out from it's resting spot.....might.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    At least the socket is magnetic... try finding a stainless bolt with a magnet

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    anyon who has ever worked on a ski has done it....

the thing you are talking about is the carbon seal...
    it can sink you if it goes bad

it is under the motor most likely ..tip the trailer up like you are dumping the water out of the wells ..you will hear it... a magnet works ..air blower to make it go to somewhere you can get it..

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    10mm?
    Yep.

Well it's locked away in our storage unit right now so ill go over in the morning and see what I can do. It was getting late and we didn't want to get locked in so we didn't try much. I'd guess if it kept rolling back in the hull it would eventually hit the drain plugs? Too bad it's too big to fit through them. And yeah after I posted this I searched for a while and came across a thread exactly like this one... sounds like a pretty common occurance; I don't feel quite so bad anymore. Thanks for the help guys!

If you haven't dropped a tool or bolt into your hull, you haven't been working on your ski enough LOL. It WILL HAPPEN.

You can either use a magnet for sockets and other tools.
    Tie a string to items that have an area to do so (esp in tight spots)

When the "drop" occurs, then tilt the ski upwards or you can drop the tongue from a small height to shock it to the front part under the motor.

If you just had your first drop, welcome and you'll prob have more to come.

+1
    If all else fails just go out for a ride. Just ride normal, accelerate, turn etc... The socket or other item will end up in the rear of the bilge. Seriously if i cant find something ill go for a ride and find it in the very rear of the ski next to the bailer intake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLD06RXP View Post
    If all else fails just go out for a ride. Just ride normal, accelerate, turn etc... The socket or other item will end up in the rear of the bilge. Seriously if i cant find something ill go for a ride and find it in the very rear of the ski next to the bailer intake.
    +1 Thats usually the way I do it also.

Sounds like a good excuse to hit the lake then.

yep i dropped the whole dang ratchet ..with the socket when i was removing the oil pump bolts on the front of the motor

luckily i have a snap on bore scope / with a magnet attachment that i finally got to use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information