Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Aussie Pro 785 Project

While you guys are out enjoying fun times on your skis, I will be building my 785 Pro in Australia very much from the ground up. This thread will be dedicated to the process, which I have approximately 5 months to complete

I'm looking forward to this build, which to be honest I wasn't sure how far I would go but I started digging and kept going till I couldn't dig any further. So I have an empty hull, all parts documented with pics and stored correctly labeled down to the last screw.

This project I intend on bringing this 785 back to it's former glory with a few goodies. I can probably count the 785s in Australia on one hand, which is why I want this thing to be perfect in every way when the summer holidays come round again.

So to the build, this is what I will be doing:

Engine;

Wiseco Standard Bore forged pistons
    Freshly honed cylinder jugs
    balanced bottom end
    new crankcase (thanks Lugs)
    Vforce Reeds (thanks lugs)
    Stock Mikuni 44s to be rebuilt
    Ocean Pro F/As
    Hot Seat Head Pump Gas
    Stock triples
    Everything else pretty much stock, all new fuel/water lines to come.

Handling/Propulsion;

UMI Steering
    Ocean Pro Ride Plate
    Worx Sponsons
    Work Intake Grate
    Hot Seat Trim Tabs
    6 Vane SS
    Impeller -

Paint + Trim

New Gelcoat, at least the bottom
    Jet trim Seat
    Color - Orange or Green

There are other bits along the way and I will be posting up lots of pics and documenting the whole build.

I should mention that I only have about 6 months wrenching experience on pwc and really want to prove to myself that I can do this (with some help from the Polaris Underground of course). I have really taken to Polaris machines, my buddies think I'm insane I recall when I was looking for a ski they were all saying "Dude, whatever you do don't buy Polaris they suck". Now I have 2 and look forward to smokin' every last one of them when this thing hits the water

Here is the before......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7160003.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	191891  

+1

The Stripped Down Hull

Pics of the hull as it is today. I decided to turn her upside down and get a real close look at the state of the gelcoat. I knew I was up for some work here, the pictures tell the story.

I think the top can just be painted, there are some tiny cracks nothing major there. The bottom has the tell tale signs of beach landings Fibreglass is very much exposed there, and given the amount of bits chipped and cracked it looks like a re-coating of the bottom.

I have Bow's "How to paint a jetski" thread printed in full so I will be using it as my guide during this time. I may also get a pro to do the bottom and get it trued but unsure if the budget is gonna stretch, I really want to do as much on my own as possible here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7300028.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	191892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7300029.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	191893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050030.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	191894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050031.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	191895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050032.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	191896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050033.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	191897  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050034.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	191898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050037.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	191901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050039.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	191902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8050041.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	191903  

+1
    Man, I'm excited for you. Forget what others say about polaris's. I ran into 2 seapoos. they were watching me flying around, they didnt want to race.
    lol Chickens....lol I'd wipe thier butt on lake saint clair, Ive riden that lakes for years. I aint scared! 4 footers on the slt in 30 knot winds, bring it!

I will help you anyway I can repairing your bottom. its not that bad . a few chunks missing. no biggie.. check your tunnel inside the ski.. if thats a 2000 you have, I have the same ski. you will love it! I love mine.

love watching builds on other skis. then the bonus is when you finally get it running like mine! well almost.lol

How about this for a paint job-All black gel on the bottom. Copper metallic on the topsides, the hood black, carbon fiber and copper seat with white piping dividing it half way, black rub rails,black nose cone,
    white dash console. black grips. with white and black 785 PRO on the sides, that would look sweet. just enough white to set off the piping on the seat, consel and the white inside the 785 letters!

I will be watching the entire thread. go for it. enjoy the experience of building your own race ski. you will learn a ton bulding it from scratch. i feel really comfortable with mine now, Not to mention the people on here willing to help along the way giving advice, tips,experience to someone they never even met. that says a lot about the people on here.

Truing the ski is easy. gelcoat it and then block it out. takes couple hours. no big deal. just do the back half, its the only thing on the water at speed. the front doesnt matter. keep the strakes sharp too.

+1
    Great looking ski...should be a real great boat once you get it done.

Take care of everything you want to do to the boat now, because it's the easiest when everything is out of it!

+1
    The reason I took it all down was that if I'm going to do this, I want to expose the lot so I know what I'm looking at. I don't want to rebuild the engine, then find I needed to do something else and the engine has to come out again

I have plenty of time, and as such it will be a slow build - but I want to get everything right.

I'm thinking black gelcoat down the bottom, still undecided on the top, or inside for that matter as I will be painting the inside of the hull. This thing is gonna look sexy. I'm thinking about getting some chrome bits in there as well, I read about the mirra-chrome paint looks pretty awesome. Not marine though but I may do some bits around the engine in it

Next weekend I will start sanding and hopefully getting some gel on her!

+1
    I would not paint the inside of the ski. What usually happens is this.

The inside of a ski is covered with oil n gas and fumes. Its probably the worse case scenario you could have for appling paint!. paint will not and does not like oil or gas.. Then the vibration can break the paint up into to little pieces, fall into the carbs, or fall to the bottom of the ski where youll have little chunks of paint peeling off everywhere over time. it will clog your bilge, the siphon tubes and make a complete mess of the bottom of the hull. what a PITA!

I would only gel coat the inside of a ski. its hard as nails and will not chip or peel if done correctly. it must be absoloutely spotless and sanded thoroughly or else trouble will ensue. Use wax and grease remover to clean before spraying gelcoat or else it wont stick correctly.

Some hulls have smc material on the topsides that has the wax mold release mixed right into the smc, so that makes it even harder for stuff to stick too..

Just a thought....

+1
    Ok, I never thought about that

Sounds messy all round then

I'll concentrate on the outside, that will keep me busy for a while. Long weekend coming up this weekend so I should get started on the bottom.

I'm also thinking I should remove the rub rails to do it all, they are in very poor condition from racing and all. Cracks in them in a few spots. Not sure what to do with the rails just yet.

Bow, I have a heap of Hot Seat Performance stickers in large and small. I remember you were asking for some - if still interested let me know I'll send some over.

You can always use the roll on truck bed liner inside the hull. That's what I did to my 785 and it seems to hold up pretty well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 Pro Mick View Post
    You can always use the roll on truck bed liner inside the hull. That's what I did to my 785 and it seems to hold up pretty well.
    pics?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    Ok, I never thought about that

Sounds messy all round then

I'll concentrate on the outside, that will keep me busy for a while. Long weekend coming up this weekend so I should get started on the bottom.

I'm also thinking I should remove the rub rails to do it all, they are in very poor condition from racing and all. Cracks in them in a few spots. Not sure what to do with the rails just yet.

Bow, I have a heap of Hot Seat Performance stickers in large and small. I remember you were asking for some - if still interested let me know I'll send some over.
    Great i'll pm my address to ya.. Thanks.

yeah hyoctance did his hull in rhino liner . looks good and is bulletproof. just adds weight to the ski though.. I like my Pros hull stock inside. its very clean in there looks great as is .

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information