94 SL 650 bogging out under load

Hi all I'm new to this awesome forum...
    I'll start with the issue I'm having, then go into the history of the ski afterwards. Here is the issue: ski idles perfectly but once in lake and under throttle, ski starts to go, then bogs out and dies. You can manipulate it a bit with the choke and maybe get about 100ft before it bogs out again.

Here is the history of this Polaris, last summer my friend Mark bought this ski for $700 with trailer. When he bought it, PO had it hooked up to a hose and ski started on a dime. Engine area was clean and spotless, and ski seemed to idle and throttle perfectly. PO said he had upgraded the fuel pump. So Mark purchased it , took it to the lake and experienced the issues I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. My friend and I came over to help , we took the carbs out and cleaned them, changed the spark plugs and headed to the lake. Ski ran pretty good that day, but we still had to use the choke or it would bog out, but this time if you did it right it would stay running but pretty much only at full throttle. Anything less than full throttle required using the choke.

So Mark decides to take it to the lake the next week with friends and his family. He experiences the same issues as the first day out, ski starts to go at full throttle, then after about 50 to 100 feet of travel ski bogs out, and this time the choke did not help the situation. He was furious about the issues, just bought new (used) Seadoo's and I have now inherited the Polaris. So I'm pretty happy to say the least, free jet ski!! I have been researching a lot of threads on this site and have downloaded a manual. Anyone know where I should start with this issue?
    I just got the ski Wednesday and have added new gas to it, hooked up the hose and it's running perfectly. i just don't know what to look for from here.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

First conduct a compression test.

Due to the age of the ski, you need to do all the fuel system updates, just to be sure. Check the lines inside the tank, fuel lines, filters, petcock, fuel pump, rebuild carbs/thoroughly inspect them, etc..

Make sure the autocock has been removed, and the restrictor is installed.

Try clipping your plug wires back about 1/4" and rescrew the plug boots back on. Then re-zip tie them.

Let us know how these help.

couple more easy questions for the pros out there

I went ahead and changed all of the fuel lines from the fuel tank to the fuel pump and the 2 fuel filters. I have not yet changed the fuel pump but am looking into that option. I pulled the pump out and it was marked 2003 on the back with a marker. So I'm thinking it's probably still pumping strongly, but it is a single outlet pump. Not sure why they replaced with an expensive OEM pump but that seems to be the case. Oh and I see people here saying to check the pulse line, I see it going to the crank but not sure how I would get down there to remove and test it, can someone set me straight on this procedure? If I do replace the fuel pump with a triple, can I do it without pulling the carbs? Previous owner had the carbs cleaned last year and the guy who did it complained about how hard they were to get out. Anyone know of a shop that carries fuel pumps in Arizona?

Jet ski starts fine, I let it run about 2 minutes and was giving it some throttle while hooked to a hose in my garage. About 2 hours later I checked the spark plugs and all 3 were wet. Is this an issue with these motors? Should I be concerned? Sorry just don't know much about 2 strokes. I have not been able to do a compression test yet, I don't own a gage. Thiniking of changing the spark plugs, any suggestion their on brand and #, gap settings?

Also something I never mentioned previously is that this ski is from California so I'm wondering if the carb screws might need adjusting since the Ski is now in AZ. And here is my big question, how are you supposed to adjust these carbs when the oil injection box has to be removed from the top of the carbs to reach them? It makes no sense - please help I can't adjust these without oil going into the carbs can I? Don't want to damage the engine.

One last thing...
    Previous owner filled this thing up with Walmart brand watercraft 2 stroke oil. could this be an issue. Like I said in my original thread, ski ran pretty good for my friend (PO) and I one trip last year after he had the carbs cleaned and he was running wally world oil then so I don't think that was the issue.
    My kids come back home next week and I really want to get this ski going, I'm up for any suggestions. I have learned alot already just researching on this site and really appreciate the feedback. thanks

Replace the pump. John Z has them for $30. replace every single fuel line, including the ones in the tank and every one attached to the carbs, water seperator, selector, etc.

pulse line is just attached with a clamp. just use a screwdriver to take loosen the clamp and pull the line off. you can do it at the engine case or at the fuel pump.

Dont run the engine on the hose for more then 2 minutes. the proceedure is: start engine, turn on water, turn water off, stop engine.

Go to your nearest harbor freight. they have compression gauges cheap, along with many other things.

Did you empty all the old gas or just add new? If you didn't get rid of all the old gas I would dump the entire tank, then put in new.

You said last year that you cleaned the carbs, but did you rebuild them? Sounds like you could have a stuck needle (or more) and the carbs are gummed up. Dont run this ski until you rebuild the carbs, or you could put a hole in a piston by running lean.

I have a 94 too, so i know the issues you are having. You have to be flexible when trying to work on these, twist your arm in ways you couldn't imagine. Part of doing work yourself and saving labor.

Yes the autocock was removed by PO . The fuel lines in the gas tank were all cracked and falling apart. There were only 2 lines in there, 1 for fuel and one for reserve. I cleaned the tank, found the filters at the bottom of the tank and put them on two new fuel lines. There are 4 lines coming into the top, but only the two on the inside of the tank. Is this wrong? And where is the restrictor you mentioned. thanks..

+1
    The "main" hose should be a little short from reaching the bottom.

The "res" hose should rest on the bottom.

The return fitting doesn't have any hose attached

The vent should have a very short hose attached with a check valve attached to it. That will prevent fuel from spilling out in the event of a roll over.

Restrictor is located about 1 inch past the carbs INSIDE the return hose. (small brass plug with a TINY hole)

I definitely don't have the short hose with a check valve attached, but I don't believe this would hinder performance would it?

+1
    No, just ecological disaster.

you can get a triple fuel pump from Atlantic jet moter sports and all the fuel line you need , yes you will have to pay for shipping but there cool guys overe there that will hook you up with what you need..... and till get all set up and ruining great i would just use NGK-R.....AND i would get a book from them to to help you with the specs........

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Thread Information