Hesitation - Stall - Run Fine

Here's an interesting one. I was out riding today for about 35min and everything was going fine. Water was a bit choppy so I wasn't full-throttle at any point; just joy-riding.

All of a sudden the ski started to lose power, so I throttled-up to counter. Before I knew it, I had the throttle all the way floored but only pulling 6K rpm. I kept running it like this because I was so close to the river, the waves were really choppy, and it just started to rain. I had the 'just a little further' mentality.

After about 25 seconds of this the engine stalled. Ha. Of course it had to stall right before a storm, only a few hundred feet from the mouth of the river. I tried to restart right-away and got nothing. Pulled out the lanyard, let it sit for a second, then retried it. Fortunately it started up and I was able to ride it back in at this point. After restart it *seemed* to run fine, but I never brought it back to full throttle. Sort of nursed it in.

Once I got on the river, I idled all the way to the launch and it sounded fine. No hesitation or stalling.

So my question: What the hell happened? And where should I start my troubleshooting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Check your water seperator.

Perform a compression test

Check your elec connections

Check your rubber exh hoses if have any

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Check your water seperator.
    Don't have one, it's the DI model, which has a no-maintenance one built into the fuel system.

Perform a compression test.
    All good.

Check your elec connections.
    Once again, all good. Everything looks normal. Spent about 25 minutes with my head in the engine compartment, and everything looks normal.

Check your rubber exh hoses if have any.
    Everything looks perfect.

So I took it back out this weekend (with 3 other jet skiers, with tow lines) and it ran like a champ for 30 minutes then stalled unexpectedly. Hmm. I pulled the lanyard, looked in the engine compartment, and then tried to restart. Fired right up and ran fine...for another 15 minutes, then stalled again. Still no warning indicators on the display or any warning signs from the engine compartment.

Finally got it back to the river, and it idled perfectly back to the dock. What's the deal? I'm about to take it in to service department if I can't get any resolution.

Thanks everyone.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model and year is your fuel injected Polaris?

I would replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Bad TPS can have all sorts of strange symptoms.

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Ficht TPS versions, sources

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What model and year is your fuel injected Polaris?

I would replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Bad TPS can have all sorts of strange symptoms.
    It's a 2002 Virage i.

I called up to a local Polaris dealership last night and explained the above situation. The tech said it could be a variety of issues, and wouldn't be 100% sure without digging into it. I mentioned the TPS to him and he said that very well might be the problem. Is there any way to test it?

If not, I might just run up to the dealership and pick up a new one. Thanks again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakesJK View Post
    It's a 2002 Virage i.

I called up to a local Polaris dealership last night and explained the above situation. The tech said it could be a variety of issues, and wouldn't be 100% sure without digging into it. I mentioned the TPS to him and he said that very well might be the problem. Is there any way to test it?

If not, I might just run up to the dealership and pick up a new one. Thanks again.
    The only reliable test for a TPS is to install a new or known good TPS.

Replaced the TPS...still runs like crap. Taking it in tomorrow. I'll post what the problem was.

Thread Information