Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone know what this is?

Guys, I apologize in advance for starting a thread on what may be turn out to be nonsense. I was giving my SLT 780 the once over before putting it in the water and found this piece of plastic under the crank case.

It looks like it was the inside part to some type of handle but I can't find anything in the manual that it could be for on the ski. I am assuming it was dropped in there while it was running at one time and the heat kept it under the motor or maybe it is a piece of wire wrap that got petrified. There is some adhesive on the inside of it. One of the pics didn't come out very well.

Does anyone have any idea what this thing is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Christmas Decorations 003.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	191994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Christmas Decorations 002.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	191995  

has ur ski got the seal round the front storage compartment complete?? looks like that sort of rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    has ur ski got the seal round the front storage compartment complete?? looks like that sort of rubber
    Yeah. It isn't any type of seal. That type of rubber would have melted into more of a ball. This is hard. I am leaning toward the plastic wire wrap that is in there that doesn't seal up with a heat gun. Although, it is pretty heavy. I thought it was metal at first.

hey dino the pic isnt real clear it looks like it has a pattern on it like ridge ridge ridge smooth ridge ridge smooth is that correct..

+1
    I agree, wire insulation. It looks like a part of the short strip that would go around a single wire for the temp sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I agree, wire insulation. It looks like a part of the short strip that would go around a single wire for the temp sensor.

yea but he said it had some weight to it i was thinking maybe some old bilge hose that stuff was a bit heavier duty..

Quote Originally Posted by nick34 View Post
    hey dino the pic isnt real clear it looks like it has a pattern on it like ridge ridge ridge smooth ridge ridge smooth is that correct..
    It has ridges all the way across Nick. It just looks smooth in the middle from heat. I am thinking that it may feel heavier now because the plastic has shrunk from the heat. You can tell that this was never a solid piece of plastic. It definitely had an open end.

I am going to check to see if the insulation is missing off the temp sensor. That is a good idea. It also could have come off the positive battery cable at one time because I had to replace the insulation wrap on that cable.

I have the thing running good and I don't want it to go down for something stupid.

Well there is no insulator wrap on the temperature sensor wire, just shrink wrap. I have it everywhere else and I can see that the sensor has definitely been changed recently so at this point I guess ph2 is right. It could have fallen straight down to the place where I found it.

He should get a beer or something.

Looks like plastic wire loom to me. See it all the time in cars or car audio. That stuff can turn hard over time.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stl_sl650 View Post
    Looks like plastic wire loom to me. See it all the time in cars or car audio. That stuff can turn hard over time.
    I agree ^^^^^

May have had the dreaded stator ground wire melt down leaving the sticky residue inside of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information