Thread: 97 gti

97 gti

I just finished a top end rebuild on a 717 and was looking for a way to change the crankcase oil. When i was installing the pistons i remember seeing oil in the bottom of the crankcase. Ok let me start from the beginning. Lost compression in the back cylinder, took the head off and the piston was toast. The wrist pin bearings came apart but luckly i had stuffed a rag into the crankcase opening. When i was replacing the pistons there was a wrist pin bearing and end cap stuck between the case and the crank. I got both out, but saw some metal shavings on the crank. So i poured some amsoil 10w30 to fluse the shavings. It worked but i want to get the shavings and the oil out of there. I did a search and i'm thinkin i made a big mistake. I really dont want to slit the case. Any suggestions?????

Quote Originally Posted by BDBRACING View Post
    I just finished a top end rebuild on a 717 and was looking for a way to change the crankcase oil. When i was installing the pistons i remember seeing oil in the bottom of the crankcase. Ok let me start from the beginning. Lost compression in the back cylinder, took the head off and the piston was toast. The wrist pin bearings came apart but luckly i had stuffed a rag into the crankcase opening. When i was replacing the pistons there was a wrist pin bearing and end cap stuck between the case and the crank. I got both out, but saw some metal shavings on the crank. So i poured some amsoil 10w30 to fluse the shavings. It worked but i want to get the shavings and the oil out of there. I did a search and i'm thinkin i made a big mistake. I really dont want to slit the case. Any suggestions?????

All you need to do is take the intake side apart IE carb off then the intake mainfold. Now you will see the valve DO NOT REMOVE this unless you have the proper timing wheel from Sea Doo. With the valve still on you need to turn the motor over until you can access one or both of the ports. Then imply use a syphon and take all the oil out but put back in at least 1 quart. Re Assemble and all is good myfreind. Good Luck PM if you have any further questions.

How many hours on this thing? You may be making a bigger mistake by not going through the whole thing. Unless your plan is to sell it after the top end.

thanks dob. i just took the back cylinder off and im going to punp the oil from there. wish i would have waited and read this sooner. that is 2stroke oil you put back in there right.

rum when i had it apart everything was tight and looked in good condition. i have thought about selling it, but dont think i could do that knowing there might be a chance. figuered i would try and make it this year and go through it this winter. i got a funny feeling this quick fix is gonna leave me stranded. i busted the block on the polaris and right now im a landlover.

thanks dob. i just took the back cylinder off and im going to punp the oil from there. wish i would have waited and read this sooner. that is 2stroke oil you put back in there right.

Ya just standard 2 stroke oil but DO NOT mix. If the oil is blue use the TCW3 if it is light brown you can use the mineral. I think it is like 1 quart or maybe less. I just guage it when you see it come out the rotary valve port.

FUN FUN Lol

Thread Information