RXTiS First Impression: Awesome

For the first 10 minutes that is...in over 17 years of riding/racing skis - by far the best ski I've ever ridden/owned.

Rain hasn't stopped but decided to take it out anyway today for the first time. Ocean is rough and I almost called it but decided to test out the suspension - better to try it in rough water for the first time so than when it calms down, it will be a lot better...

So we get the ski's in the water and head out looking for a calm spot where I can do my break in runs Green Hulk style and taking it easy keeping the rpms below 5000 in order to warm it up good. Once it got warm, blipped the throttle for a few seconds just to see how it felt.

It felt good. The suspension handled the chop WAY better than I ever expeced. I normally wouldn't ride on a day like today - getting too old, and these things are too big to jump every other wave/big chop but like I said. I wanted to test out the suspension...

Remember I said "for the first 10 minutes

As we got closer to where I was gonna do the break in runs, I felt the throttle response disappear. When we got inside the breakwalls, every time I tried to hammer the throttle, there was no response - very pig like. The display would show "check engine", it would beep, and the max rpms were 6000. Tried it several times and always the same thing...

Figured it was the supercharger but it sounded like it was spinned up...

Decided to take it back to shore and see what I could find...

First thing was the engine compartment was very very warm - much warmer than any other ski I've owned...I could feel the heat through the hull near the plastice sound suppression...

Didn't see any water inside, and nothing came out when I opened the drain plugs

Checked the oil - assuming the trailer was "level" according to my eyes, the oil level was at the full mark on the dipstick...

Flushed the exhaust/intercooler...water came out the pump like it's supposed to and nothing came out the drain plugs when I tilted the trailer up again...

At that point - that's all I can check. This iS hull doesn't give me any room to look at anything at all...

Called the dealer - their mechanic called me back and he thinks the supercharger hose blew off...said bombardier sent a note out saying it has potential to happen...

Other things beside the major one:

Steering is off by a lot. Had to turn the bars to the right in order to go straight...I asked the dealer before I picked it up if they checked the alignment...obviously they didn't...

Ski moves to the rear slightly when in nuetral...not like its in reverse, but it doesn't stay still...

Couldn't engage cruise control while I was riding...either couldn't push the button hard enough cause the water was too rough, or I was doing it wrong, or there's something wrong...gotta read the manual again before saying there's something wrong...

The DESS key is way too finicky...it will piss me off if I have to try 5 times to get two beeps every time I go to start the motor...

The ski is supposed to be able to start within 3 minutes without having to remove the DESS and reconnect but more often than not, I had to reconnect it.

One time when I ran through my pre-ride checklist, I started it, stopped it using the start/stop button and when I tried to restart ot test killing the motor by removing the DESS key, I got one beep and the display read "check engine". Removing/replacing the DESS key started it but the repeated periodically...

So long story short, for the first 10 minutes I was loving it big time - biggest smile on my face in a long long time, but until I get these issues fixed, pardon me if I'm partially wishing I got a SHO/ultra instead...I'd still be out riding right now instead of sitting here typing...

Cheers,

Ray

+1
    Don't give up yet. Once your dealer gets all the issues fixed that smile will come back. Hang in there!

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    it is just a couple of bugs being the first year..they will get them sorted..heppens to almost all new models...

.i rode the ski in a demo it is awsome ..and saves the back...in the rough...love the brake and auto neutral ...it isnt perfct but way better than not having it if i could reto fit...it to my rxp i would..

Turbo Doo's from Down Under one1one's Avatar
    1, S/C- I/C hose if off at the S/C end, tell your dealer to put a 420851703 clamp on it from a 215hp model doo (OTK single use clamp).

2. Tell your dealer to adjust the steering properly.

3. If the ECU is "powered down" then u you must push the start button to wake it up before installing the DESS key. Don't be slow & gentle with the key, push it on quickly and firmly after the gauge lights up.

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I blew my SC hose off too. Seems to be a common problem and a stronger clamp seems to be the solution. Engine compartment is on the warm side for me too. I also back up a little bit in neutral. wish there was a way to adjust the system. I have 10 hours on mine now and they have been trouble free. The suspension system is the tits!

It was the SC - IC hose...blew off on the SC end. One1One - thanks for the tip - I gave the part number to the dealer and he ordered them and replaced all of my hose clamps with them...didn't know they made otiker clamps that big. I'll need to order some myself for spares now...

Hopefully I'll get the ski out on the water tomorrow. If everything goes right, the smile will be back and I'll get my GH style break-in runs then go for a long cruise.

Dealer also readjusted the steering. I should have laid down on the ground and checked it myself before I picked it up the first time...more often than not, the steering is not right on new skis or after they do maintenance on the cable/turn nozzle etc...

Will try the DESS and cruise control next time I'm out too. Those are not show stoppers - if the problems persist I'll have them fix it when I bring it in for the 2 hour oil change...

More to come...cheers,

Ray

Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar
    is buying a ski in japan just as difficult as it is to buy a car?

Kaotic - depends on what you mean by "difficult". Buying a used car is a snap - go to the dealer, pick one off the lot, give the guy some money and pick it up a few days later after the registration is done. Been over here for 17 years now so to me that's not difficult. Buying my 4WD van new was difficult because I'm impatient when it comes to buying things. New car dealers don't have stuff on the lot for sale - you order your vehicle, they build it (or pick one coming off the assembly line for you) which takes a month by the time it gets to you...

My ski dealer didn't have an RXT iS on the lot so it also took 3 weeks for it to come in, get prepped, registered etc...if I had picked something on the lot it would have only taken a few days...

Cheers,

Ray

Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar
    I thought you had to have proof of parking and sometimes a 3rd party to sponsor you. (or is that for foreign workers)

Or is that mostly for large cities like Tokyo. I'm curious because when i was there parking was INSANE

Thread Information