Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Pump Setups for Turbo RXP

Hey Guys,

Im still struggling to find a decent prop/pump setup for these turbo RXP's.

I want to stay around the 8600 mark but cant seem to get a prop steep enough to run over the 90 mark.

What are these 162mm pumps like?

Any loss in top speed?

Also been looking at these 3 blade props again.

Does any one have any experience with something like a 16/25 3 blade?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rick xp View Post
    Hey Guys,

I want to stay around the 8600 mark but cant seem to get a prop steep enough to run over the 90 mark.

Any loss in top speed?

Too keep your prop speed down to 8600 you are gona need a bigger pump and a 3 blade. Pretty sure the guys over here running turbos are running 162mm pumps with 16/24 skat. From what I have been told they dont rev the nuts off them either, like 8450 dont need the revs for boost with a turbo. I would say that they are hitting mid 80s but that is in full CC trim so with a ride plate and the right nozzle im sure you could get 90.

The big pumps are slower but holeshot and hookup are much better and as you know you always lose a bit with the three blade.

R88

+1
    Thanks mate,

yeah i got a 4 blade setup that i know runs 90 but i need something bigger that can run past it.

Yeah I dont want to go to a bigger pump if i am going to be losing speed.

So a 3 blade prop might be a 1 mph down on on speed at the same boost but if it drops the rpm down and has a lot more potential to add another 5 PSI then i might gain 5mph over the 4 blade?

Does this make sense?

+1
    Thanks mate,

yeah i got a 4 blade setup that i know runs 90 but i need something bigger that can run past it.

Yeah I dont want to go to a bigger pump if i am going to be losing speed.

So a 3 blade prop might be a 1 mph down on on speed at the same boost but if it drops the rpm down and has a lot more potential to add another 5 PSI then i might gain 5mph over the 4 blade?

Does this make sense?
    I dont think you will see higher topspeed with a three blade at the same rpm as the 4 blade no matter how much boost you have.
    You would be able to throw more boost at it get there much faster at the same RPM, it depends what u want, if you want all out top speed then you need more rpm (i.e. a remap) and as bigger 4 blade you can get I would say that you can get a 15/22 to 24-25 then lower the front to give it more bite and better holeshot. The boys that are running real high topspeed are running high rpm now like 9100.

From the testing I have done the three seems to be 2-3mph slower at the same rpm but the holeshot, mid range accel and hookup are far better. R88

I am in the same boat as you Rick and am also thinking about a larger pump. I look forward to your results

Will, All what I do is send my Riva SS wear ring + impeller to Skat and they wild the impeller to 162mm also the wear ring they take it out to 162mm

And I'm using the stock SD pump

+1
    Trouble with the larger pumps is they are slower so you will add 1 then throw more boost into it to get the RPM back up but you will prob end up at the same speed. Now if you could get a larger pump with less viens then that maybe faster.

I would say that the extra speed has to be in the hull and rideplate.

I wonder if any1 has tryed removing some of the viens in the pump??? your gona lose hookup and possibly some accel but from reading I have done in the Yami section the pumps with less viens seem to be the faster 1s.

What Nozzle are you running Cal??? I guess you have to be carefull due to the stuff issue but Im sure you have pump relief right???

Rick, Pump relief may get you some speed as well. Rick I would def say the easyest way for you to see more speed is a 9100 re-map fit it with the correct valvetrain and then wind the boost in to get the Rs up with your current prop, lets use the old rule of 100rpm = 1 MPH say you go from 8600 with your riva to 9000 with a re-map you should be running 94 if you have 90 already.

1 issue with the re-maps as you know is fueling, if you wana run topspeed runs you WILL have to tune it. Les's ECUs are not plug and play. R88

Turbo Doo's from Down Under one1one's Avatar
    Hey Guys,

Any loss in top speed?

Hey Rick,
    As you know this is a little different to what we use our turbo Doo's for but I like the idea of a big bore OEM pump as the Skattys are not fast (but they are quick).

A good turbo ski should swing a 16/25 (162mm 3 blade) at 8,800 with a 86mm nozzle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by one1one View Post
    Hey Rick,
    As you know this is a little different to what we use our turbo Doo's for but I like the idea of a big bore OEM pump as the Skattys are not fast (but they are quick).

A good turbo ski should swing a 16/25 (162mm 3 blade) at 8,800 with a 86mm nozzle.
    Thanks James,

Yeah i really want to stick to a 4 blade prop if i can as im after mid to top end speed and am not really a fan of skat props.

So an OEM pump wont lose so much speed as a skatty?

These big bore OEM pumps is it a matter of just boring the wear ring out to 162mm?

What about boring out the stator vanes out to 162mm or leave that OEM?

What im thinking about doing now is getting the blades welded and machined on a cnc to 162mm.

We have programmed the prop and it will follow the the current pitch but at 162mm OD.

congratulations for running 90mph over the weekend, will be interested to see how much more speed you get out of it...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information