Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

summer heat sucks

the life right out of the ski.

started this it was in the mid 70s was moving along...

added some stuff..then it warmed up to the mid 80s tuned for that ..,,still doing ok..

now it is in th mid to low 90s and the humididy is up in the 90% as well ..didnt add any more go fast parts ..was way rich and and lost 400 -450 rpm...af is part of it..and the heat..

i didnt even bother turning on the gps...but i doubt it was even doing 80 today ...still beat up on a gpr..it was ugly... the seadoos there i guess knew better... it was fun ..eventhough i was only at 8100 ish..

so i guess ill need to tune for this..this is the way it is going to be for the next few months..

joys of owning a highly modified ski...

i have been changing things so fast and the weather has been changing just as fast....i have been in a constant stae of tuneing for the last 6 months...

except for the headder i am done with the motor mods for awhile...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    the life right out of the ski.

started this it was in the mid 70s was moving along...

added some stuff..then it warmed up to the mid 80s tuned for that ..,,still doing ok..

now it is in th mid to low 90s and the humididy is up in the 90% as well ..didnt add any more go fast parts ..was way rich and and lost 400 -450 rpm...af is part of it..and the heat..

i didnt even bother turning on the gps...but i doubt it was even doing 80 today ...still beat up on a gpr..it was ugly... the seadoos there i guess knew better... it was fun ..eventhough i was only at 8100 ish..

so i guess ill need to tune for this..this is the way it is going to be for the next few months..

joys of owning a highly modified ski...

i have been changing things so fast and the weather has been changing just as fast....i have been in a constant stae of tuneing for the last 6 months...

except for the headder i am done with the motor mods for awhile...
    Yep, its called RAD (relative air density ). I got a formula if you want to be able to figure it. RAD is same thing NHRA use to tune. Yesterday it was 100 + degrees here in west Texas and Rad was over 6,500 ft at 2,200 ft. Elevation. For every 1,000 ft of RAD you will loose approximately 100 rpm at minimum.

In Ftlauderdale RAD is 3200ft at sea level with the temperature near 100F

Use this link:

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

Get the necessary info from www.weatherunderground.com

+1
    E
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP6 View Post
    In Ftlauderdale RAD is 3200ft at sea level with the temperature near 100F
    Those that can ride in the winter (Floridians and southerns) see some record breaking speeds and then summer heat kicks back in and we all slow down.

+1
    I spose this is 1 plus to living in the UK its never all that hot so we dont slow down much. I had my fastest speeds on my 04 when the water was 35f and the air was 37f, yup it was cold but it felt fast as hell. You have to wear a helmet in those conditions or brain freeze sets in real fast. R88

thanks guys..just havent really taken it out much lately and everytime i have... it has warmed up another 10 deg.. now it is the humidity.....i take some pich out..next time out it is warmer and it is still down on rpm ..

ill get it just want it to be right ..kinda getting tired of tuning ...well tired of everytime i take it out it isnt right ...on the money ..still good just not beeing all i can be..

+1
    RAD was around 2500' Saturday around here. Really not great for making big power. Best thing to do is adjust fuel and prop pitch to make the best of it.

Even by 8:30am its already 80degrees!!! Water temp was 93!

Here in the Virgin Islands its HOT year round. Yesterday the water temp was 86-87 degrees but even in the "winter" its 83. I guess the good thing is there is not much tuning to do year round, but it just kills performance all around!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    RAD was around 2500' Saturday around here. Really not great for making big power. Best thing to do is adjust fuel and prop pitch to make the best of it.

Even by 8:30am its already 80degrees!!!
    ya and the water temp is well into the 80s already as well..not good for hurricain season.

the ski felt horrible...comparitively..i just need to remember everyone is in the same situation....i mean its still above 80....that gpr was way way back there and right now....havent been abel to comapre to a semi stock ski since all the mods..allways out with the big guns from here..they are all fast..i shouldnt complain....guess it will be like this for the next few months..pitch and tune and i should be good for awhile...

i have been making alot of power mods..as the weather has been getting warmer...seeing gains but not what i would have expected..think the weather getting warmer as i go has not been letting me see..all that i have done..i have a feeling when it cools down again i am going to be doing alot of

in the best water and air ...like jan feb.. i was on a x charger riva ecu intercooler...going 81.? 50-60 deg air and 55 60 deg water..

i guess i just never really paid much attension before that..it was an s3 intercooler and 42..a 15/20...i just rode ...it...it was what it was...didnt have a box telling me it was slower..so 77 73 75 didnt really notice or care..

i think i should get back there..mentaly for the summer..and enjoy the ride instead of stressing because i am down 200 rpm ..omg i cant ride i need to get it back to the shop and depitch it....BS ...you are not a racer ...go ride the dam ski...right

i guess ill just get it tuned pitched..and go have fun for the summer it is what it is ..continue to work on my new hull and ill start in the persuit of big numbers again in the fall......just hard to tell if the changes you make are in the right direction...

now that i am paying attension..just surprise how much the weather affects them ..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information