Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing 98 GTX Motor, Help Pls

Hey fella's, im new to the forum, long story short im removing the motor from my 98 gtx to send out to a sponsor on this forum to have it rebuilt. Im new to sea doo motors etc but not new to pulling general motors out of cars etc. I am stuck at how to get the shaft removed from the motor. Ive removed all the lines, motor mounts/bolts from the motor to the sea doo but i cannot figure out how to remove the shaft. Do i need to remove the entire shaft from the back of the sea doo out to get this motor out? Or is there a shortcut to this process? If not what tools did you use to pull the shaft out and did you have to do anything at the flywheel for it to come out or does it simply pull out with some force?

Also there is a center silver section on the shaft in the middle i believe the manual refers to it as a floating o-ring piece, its obviusly too large to pull out of the back of the sea doo so somehow it needs to be remove towards the front of the sea doo so the rest of the shaft can be pull out of the back. Any info or help would be much appreciated.

This is the first time ive worked on the sea doo but determined to get this motor out, rebuilt, and re-installing it myself. Today is day one but hasnt been to shabby, thanks fellas

-Rich

+1
    welcome to GH!!

you need to remove the pump off the back of the boat first. then, on the shaft next to the motor, you should see silver collar. push that down the shaft (away from the motor against the carbon ring and sleeve). this will expose the "C" clamp. take that off and pull the shaft out the back of the boat (minus the silver collar).

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    welcome to GH!!

you need to remove the pump off the back of the boat first. then, on the shaft next to the motor, you should see silver collar. push that down the shaft (away from the motor against the carbon ring and sleeve). this will expose the "C" clamp. take that off and pull the shaft out the back of the boat (minus the silver collar).

hmm im a little cloudy on those instructions, i removed the rear shutter/steering/prop assembly so the spline is expose but it has what appears to be a cap on it, it looks like if i could get the cap off the rear/outside section by the prop off then maybe id be able to just pull the shaft right out the back of the sea doo

i pulled the silver clamps off the boots etc so most of the shaft/spline area is exposed, thank you for the fast reply, sorry if these questions sound retarded but i dont know the "technical" terms for some of these parts, im a honda nut not a sea doo nut, i try and keep this toy stock

im gonna head out and take another gander and try it out, thanks bud

ps: i see your a paintball guy, love it, im an avid paintballer myself, you make it to LL3 this year in chicago? or maybe at the nppl event?

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    welcome to GH!!

what are you referring to as a c clamp? i pushed the silver collar as much as i possibly could towards the back of the sea doo, this exposed a black o-ring which i slide towards the front of the sea doo, i dont see anything else to remove or that could be holding it in place, thanks

-rich

just opdating the thread with questions/info

-does the entire black cover under the sea do near the pump assembly need to be removed?

the silver colar is loose on the shaft, everything looks good to go but i cant remove the shaft, does the entire prop etc need to be removed from the back of the sea doo?

cant get the rear cap section off in the pump assembly, manual shows them usuing a specific tool and turning it clockwise...either way its turned the entire shaft just spins so im not sure how they get the rear section of the pump/spline out of the sea doo, after i gey this shaft out im done, just cant figure it out

You need to remove the housing that has the prop in it to get the shaft out. There are 3 hoses you will you will have to disconnect from inside the hull on the top of the jet pump. It should be held on by 4 nuts with washers. The pumps can be kind of a pain to get out as they usually have some silicone sealant on the pipe fittings that go through the hull. Then the shaft and pump should pull out.

Some of the older units did not have the circlip, they had an o ring on the shaft like you described.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tntfarms View Post
    You need to remove the housing that has the prop in it to get the shaft out. There are 3 hoses you will you will have to disconnect from inside the hull on the top of the jet pump. It should be held on by 4 nuts with washers. The pumps can be kind of a pain to get out as they usually have some silicone sealant on the pipe fittings that go through the hull. Then the shaft and pump should pull out.

Some of the older units did not have the circlip, they had an o ring on the shaft like you described.
    Ding!

The '98s mostly had the o-ring. You can just cut that o-ring off and pick up a clip from the dealer for a '99+ GTX. The clip will fit right in the groove and works MUCH better.

That said, once the pump is off the shaft will come right out (though it will take some tugging if that o-ring is still on there).

There will not be any pipe fittings to come off with the pump on that model as it uses the pump shoe. Thus you DO NOT have to unhook those hoses at the back either. There are three o-rings at the top of the pump you need to be mindfull of and not lose. Make sure those are in there when the pump goes back on.

Note: When pulling the engine on a SD with it under the seat the very first thing you do is pull the collar back and remove the clip (on those so equiped) then pull the pump and drive shaft. This will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Also, note that the boot on the PTO (where the drive shaft goes in) should be replaced at this time. It take special pliers to deal with the OE type clamps (unless you master the trick like me, but most folks just use heavy duty zip ties).

Quote Originally Posted by tntfarms View Post

-removed the o-ring from the silver collar inside the sea doo
    -removed the 3 bolts & cone from the end of the shaft
    -removed the 4 bolts that held the black plastic rear section along with the two spherical bearings/cables from the plastic as well
    -everything in the rear has been un-bolted

there are 4 larger bolts that face towards the back of the sea doo inside the engine compartment, are these what is still holding the pump/shaft on? i would assume these are the bolts that i need to remove in order for the entire prop/pump assembly to slide right out the back of the sea doo but just want to confirm

does the black plastic cover that under the haul towards the rear of the sea doo need to be removed?

seems like im just missing 1 thing to keep this baby from coming all the way off, right now it still seems secure, i can tug and tug but it dosnt budge

thanks guys, love the help, i truly appreciate it, you have no idea!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by digital sol View Post
    -removed the o-ring from the silver collar inside the sea doo
    -removed the 3 bolts & cone from the end of the shaft
    -removed the 4 bolts that held the black plastic rear section along with the two spherical bearings/cables from the plastic as well
    -everything in the rear has been un-bolted

there are 4 larger bolts that face towards the back of the sea doo inside the engine compartment, are these what is still holding the pump/shaft on? i would assume these are the bolts that i need to remove in order for the entire prop/pump assembly to slide right out the back of the sea doo but just want to confirm

does the black plastic cover that under the haul towards the rear of the sea doo need to be removed?

seems like im just missing 1 thing to keep this baby from coming all the way off, right now it still seems secure, i can tug and tug but it dosnt budge

thanks guys, love the help, i truly appreciate it, you have no idea!!
    You did not have to remove the pump cone.

It sounds like you have everything unbolted but the pump. On those four studs you refer to there should be four nuts (they will be deep, right next to the transom/pump shoe). Get those nuts off and it should pull off.

The thing at the back is the venturi and steering nozzel. Taking them off makes things a bit easier but you do not have to do so in order to remove the pump. At minimum the reverse and steering cable have to disconnected, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information