+1

Lake weeds - removal, prevention?

This is getting old ... we have a cottage on Pottawattomie Bayou in Grand Haven, Michigan. Every year we pay for weed treatment, and the weeds die after a couple weeks, but it is just a PITA ... this year the permit was held up, treatment has not happened, weeds are just nuts ...

We are wondering about a better fix ... we get a lot of sun since we are on the north shore (get lots of southern exposure sun), we have quite a bit of silt, which weeds love to grow in, and are somewhat shallow so the weeds get a jump in the warmer shallow water.

We can't dredge right now ... permits are hard to get, and its expensive. But am wondering about other ways to get rid of the weeds AND the silt ... maybe blow it out with water pressure, etc.

Anybody been there, done that? Have advice?

+1
    Good luck. I have a neighbor across the street who has been waging a war on mother nature's aquatic plants for 10 years, I just laugh at him. I think to really make a difference you have to remove them and bring in a lot of white sand, but you have to be careful here in Florida, they can fine you big time for removing the plants on your own property. I think the Water Authority comes out and sprays them in our area about once a year, suckers will take over if they don't.

The plants do help absorb nutrients though, so in theory your water will be cleaner. You have to find a balance between control and common sense. I have seen agriculture and lakeside homeowners in Central Florida polluting our lakes with phosphate fertilizer and pesticides for years; they buy expensive lots all around the lake, remove all the weeds and have nice manicured lawns that go right down to the water, but eventually the lakes start dying and turn green. Not a pretty site.

Ive seen his bayou and its pretty nasty. There are weeds to the surface of the lake a good 10 yards from shore, it would be a bitch to have to deal with that all summer

+1
    Yup, its ugly at the moment ... but normally by this time it is clear ... the weed people had a permit hang-up with the state. Pesticide will be applied soon, but we are trying to figure out ways to blow the silt out so the sand underneath is visible ... lot less weeds grow in sand. So, just curious if other people have used pumps, hoses, or other tools to blow silt out. Even wondered about hooking fire hose to the back of a jetski too ...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Contact BP, I hear they have a method to kill anything.

+1
    are weeds are horable at the lake i live on.. and they have tried some stupid things to help.

but this is what we do...

we took the kind of mat you get for planting your garden.. the stuff you put under the soil.. (i can get the real name for you later)... and we took about 20' and about every 3-4 we took re-bar and ether made clips out of pvc or used big zip ties to hold it to the mat..(about 5 zipties per bar) they can be smaller.. and the smaller ones are easyer to deal with.. if you make them to big then its a pain.

and then what you do is roll it up..get a friend to help you with putting it in the water.. and when you are in the water, one puts the starting end ounder the water where you want to kill the weeds, and stand on it, while the other unrolls it.. then set the end in the water and walk on the mat to keep it down..

what we do some times is throw a few rocks on it to keep it down if the weeds are bad.

wait two weeks.. then you can flip the mat and bring it to a new spot..

we use two mats, the neighbors we help have 5 and move them every week and a half and it keeps the weeds at bay.. once you getthe hold of it, its pretty easy to move.. takes me and my brother 1 hour to flip and move 5

they are not to pricy but as long as you don tlet them sit for years you will have them for a very long time..

+1
    where my cottage it its all marsh and wetlands so LOTS of weeds. we have a weedsicle that hook on the back of are 7.5hp boat and drive up and down the channel a couple time to chop up the weeds, lol its kinda like mowing the lawn. all the weeds then float to the top. you can then collect them or just let them float away.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    where my cottage it its all marsh and wetlands so LOTS of weeds. we have a weedsicle that hook on the back of are 7.5hp boat and drive up and down the channel a couple time to chop up the weeds, lol its kinda like mowing the lawn. all the weeds then float to the top. you can then collect them or just let them float away.
    LOL that's a great idea, here's the website:
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/basil.leona...eedsickle.html

if you are just looking to make your beech nice all we do at the cottage is use a large metal rake. Just keep dragging the weeds out. Our beech started off as pure weeds 3 years ago. All we do is every weekend when sitting on the beech just go rake the lake a little and we have 10 feet out into the lake of pure sand and not a weed around. Just keep raking and moving the sand and they wont grow. If you are looking for the entire lake... well thats a whole other story lol.

I have a very "green" simple, affordable way of controlling your lake weeds and mucky lake bottoms.

No chemicals, no electricity needed.

Please visit my website: www.lakemat.com or give me a call at 616 293-9101.

Thanks,

Douglas Fast

Thread Information