Starter wire routing

Hey everybody last fall did some work to the starter on my 93 750. Not too sure if i routed the hot wire from the brain box to the starter correctly. right now it runs right under the motor mount plate around to the intake side back to the brain box. it sits in some water n oily crud all the time wondering if there is as better route? the parts fiches don't show the particular wire. thanks!!

+1
    Sounds like you're ok but a picture would be nice.

That sounds fine. Mine always ran under the bedplate, water isn't a issue unless the wire is cut.

Just make sure it's not rubbing against sharp edges, or crushed.

+1
    Keep everything tight n clean!

whats the difference if the wire is cut? the mounting bolt for the negative is usually under water .. yeah of course if it was cut, and arc'd on something metal.. that wouldnt be good,., but its all aluminum down there so that wouldnt happen.

just check the cable for being in good shape and route it in such a way that it doesnt get worn down from vibration.. there pretty tuff so, not to worry..
    Just make sure the stud, washer , nut and the end of the wire are clean and spotless. once its on, you can use dielectric grease to protect the metal showing to preventing it from rusting..

Check your mounting for the negative too. make sure the plate is scrubbed clean before you attach the ground wire.. and of course the end of the wire too.. most electrical problems are bad grounds or loose connections.. check everything! always...

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    whats the difference if the wire is cut? the mounting bolt for the negative is usually under water .. yeah of course if it was cut, and arc'd on something metal.. that wouldnt be good,., but its all aluminum down there so that wouldnt happen.
    The mounting bolt for the engine ground shouldn't be submerged 24/7, if it is you have too much water in the hull. There is no concern of an arc with a 12v system, especially when you are considering the negative lead that is common to most metal components surrounding it. The ground terminal should be coated in dielectric grease, to prevent water from destroying the copper wire and exposed terminal, the rest is stainless and aluminum.

The only issue with a wire with a cut / nick in it, is water WILL get in, and its going to eat up the wire. In a few months to few years, you wont have enough left for the engine to start, and wont know what happened.

But its simply a starter wire... Its really not a important wire at all. Worst case, you bolt the red starter wire on top of the black ground wire and hit the start button on a freshly charged battery.... It wouldnt even be that big of a deal. The starter relay would practically explode, and melt a contact. The rest of the ski would be just fine.

Cliffs, leave the wire.

+1
    +1!
    Worst case, you bolt the red starter wire on top of the black ground wire and hit the start button on a freshly charged battery.... It wouldnt even be that big of a deal. The starter relay would practically explode, and melt a contact. The rest of the ski would be just fine.

Cliffs, leave the wire.[/QUOTE]

if you have a nick in any wire, replace it! just to be safe. I meant on my ski. i always get water in there from drivng crazy and water is always slooshing aound in there frion the bilge not picking it up.. im sure the wire gets soaked routinely.. I thought of drilling another hole in the plate on the wings of it and mounting it there instead. it would be a couple inches higher off the hull then.. Up to you.. I'm leaving mine as is..

Thread Information