Sucked in a rope today

I'm usually driving (Speedster 150 215hp) but friend took helm and I jumped out in the tube. Thought I'd been clear on my rope technique (keeping it the hell away from the bottom of the boat) all day, but apparently not.

Friend starts the boat and rope instantly gets sucked into the intake grate. I yell at him to shut it down, but he shifts into reverse thinking that will undo the winding. I'm still on the tube and suddenly accelerating pretty quickly at the boat. He finally yanks the key and I nail the boat and the rope rips. We caught a tow back to the boat launch and pulled it up and out. Spent half an hour taking turns unwinding the rope.

Upon inspection, it sure looks like the rope just got wrapped around the drive shaft and not into the impeller/wear ring.

I was wondering.. would I have been better off taking off the intake grate (if I had the appropriate socket)? Anything else I should look out for? We didn't take it back out on the lake but have a 3-hr road trip to a lake for a 3-day weekend coming up. I really think all is fine but should I have any concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy on the water View Post
    I'm usually driving (Speedster 150 215hp) but friend took helm and I jumped out in the tube. Thought I'd been clear on my rope technique (keeping it the hell away from the bottom of the boat) all day, but apparently not.

Friend starts the boat and rope instantly gets sucked into the intake grate. I yell at him to shut it down, but he shifts into reverse thinking that will undo the winding. I'm still on the tube and suddenly accelerating pretty quickly at the boat. He finally yanks the key and I nail the boat and the rope rips. We caught a tow back to the boat launch and pulled it up and out. Spent half an hour taking turns unwinding the rope.

Upon inspection, it sure looks like the rope just got wrapped around the drive shaft and not into the impeller/wear ring.

I was wondering.. would I have been better off taking off the intake grate (if I had the appropriate socket)? Anything else I should look out for? We didn't take it back out on the lake but have a 3-hr road trip to a lake for a 3-day weekend coming up. I really think all is fine but should I have any concerns?
    You should be fine. My uncle did the same thing with our RXT. I used a Ka-Bar knife to cut the rope off. Haven't had any issues since.

I'll bet that was scary seeing your boat transom coming at you so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by David_HX_RXP View Post
    I'll bet that was scary seeing your boat transom coming at you so quickly.
    Yah that sucked. Friend on the boat kept saying "you should have seen your face!" My ass slammed into the boat and I've got a good bruise on it this morning. Just happened SOOOO fast! A drive-shaft can wind up a rope in a hurry!

Thread Information