Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2007 RXP Low RPM after battery change

I don't know if it's related or not, but I have recently been having reduced RPMs since changing my battery and solenoid. I was getting 7900-8000, and now can't seem to get above 7800. It seems rev limited to 7800 (Not 7810, 7790). I checked the oil level and it was a little high. It had been serviced in the fall (winterize, oil change, plugs) and I bought it this spring. I brought the oil level to half way between the indicators, but no change. It has been regularly serviced and not abused, (bought from my neighbor, who is no kid). 50 hours on the machine. As I said, everything seemed fine prior to changing the battery, and now, although running well, will not break 7800.
    I've checked all the hoses for anything obvious, but I'm not very familiar with 4tecs.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

+1
    how long has it been sitting? bad gas
    check slip on charger, you're at 50 hours
    make sure the oil level is halfway between the bends when cold

Quote Originally Posted by masta2000 View Post
    how long has it been sitting? bad gas
    check slip on charger, you're at 50 hours
    make sure the oil level is halfway between the bends when cold
    Oil level should be between the two bends when warm. Ride the ski till the motor is warm. Let it idle for 30 seconds. Let it sit for 30 seconds. Check oil.

I believe the gas is ok. I've been thru 2 tanks this season, (which is not hard with the SC), and it was running well.
    The oil was above the second bend when warm, so I sucked some out and now it's right between the 2 bends when warm. Does high oil cause the computer to lower the RPM, or is it an effect of oil getting somewhere it shouldn't be? Also, how long after lowering the oil level should the RPMs come back? I ask because the oil was not touched prior to this issue, so it was high early in the season and running faster than it is now.

Thanks for the help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgates View Post
    I don't know if it's related or not, but I have recently been having reduced RPMs since changing my battery and solenoid. I was getting 7900-8000, and now can't seem to get above 7800. It seems rev limited to 7800 (Not 7810, 7790). I checked the oil level and it was a little high. It had been serviced in the fall (winterize, oil change, plugs) and I bought it this spring. I brought the oil level to half way between the indicators, but no change. It has been regularly serviced and not abused, (bought from my neighbor, who is no kid). 50 hours on the machine. As I said, everything seemed fine prior to changing the battery, and now, although running well, will not break 7800.
    I've checked all the hoses for anything obvious, but I'm not very familiar with 4tecs.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Weather change? Water and air temps higher you will lose rpms.

make sure you check your supercharger first then check other things trust me. also its hot its about 200 rpms from winter and summer, but im sure your supercharger is slipping

Masta, how can I check for slip?
    Thanks

thanks also Steve. It was warm this weekend and after riding for a while it wouldn't break 7600 (87deg, and 81 water temp). So the next morning I went to see if the temp was that and I was back to 7800, but no higher.
    It sounds like everyone is pointing at slip. I'm guessing that's a dealer thing??

+1
    there are 2 ways, 1 with the super charger out and the other with the valve cover off.
    - take the intake off,loosen exhaust clamp and move waterbox back, take the 3 bolts off holding the charger, put the gear in a vice surrounded with wood, unless you have the gear holding tool, then grab the nut holding the blade with a torque wrench and turn counterclock till it spin freely and thats your torque, should be within 7-12 NM.
    -take the valve cover off and spin engine in drown mode till you find TDC. then lock your camshaft with a screwdriver. once locked you can torque with charger still on the machine. - easier-

I will try and check for slippage. No chance it's an ECU issue? I'm stuck on the battery change thing. It did seem like it started right after this occured. Could be coincidense but the 7800 seems like such a round number. Not 7790, and not 7810. 7800 on the nose. Or am I grasping at less expensive straws?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information