Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking Some Wave Jumping Tips

Hey guys, I am failry new to the forum, it seems like there are a great group of people here to help each other out. Ski's can be fun, but also dangerous, knowing what the hell you are doing out there can make all the difference. So because I am a fairly new rider, I just yesterday experienced by first big waves on my ski in the DE river. The tide was extremely low and at that point, ou can walk 200 yards offshore and still be standing, that is factor #1. Factor #2 is the tide was coming in at a strong rate. Factor #3, the wind which was blowing around 20 knots with the tide. So this churned up some heavy duty shit out there. Guys Im not kidding you when I say this but, anybody who went out towards the channel is nuts. Well being a little daredevil since I was young. I said hey I will go out there and jump some waves which BTW were about 5-6 ft, very steep waves with a short trough length. I managed to do some crazy stuff. But I got banged up a little bit. Anybody that has experience jumping these type of waves might now a few tips and trick of how to properly jump them while decreasing the bumps and bruises you might get. Anybody with these tips, please feel free to express them to help younger riders like myself become better at wave jumping.

maybe take it easy, no need to jump every wave. take it slow in the beginning until you get a feeling on how to land, how the ski wants to turn/roll if you go over a wave in a certain direction. wait for a good setup, then hit it. was jumping some 4 ft stuff yesterday, it was nice

Nice

Yeah dude I was out there and this one guy who races his GP1300R said that even he isnt crazy enough to go out there. I guess either he doesnt like jumping big stuff or just babies his ski way to much, But I took a shot at it and it beat me up pretty good. I am at work right now with an ice pack on my right knee cap because I took on wave so hard, when i came down, somehow my knee hit the side of the ski, But im hurting all over the place. But it was fun.

+1

jumping

oh you mean something like this:

Name:  default.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  1.7 KB

(its not me)

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    oh you mean something like this:

Name:  default.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  1.7 KB

(its not me)
    yeah somethign like that, I did that today on tug boat wake with a huge ass barge, maybe not that high, but high enough to make me go oh shit!!!

+1
    try to land as vertical as possible so that the ride plate makes contact with the water first, the front of the ski will come down once contact with the water is made. You don't want to land on the hull flat because the force of the impact is rather strong and landing like this often causes the ski to have an unpredictable landing. If you do it right, it should be all one fluid motion and it should not put a large strain on you or the ski. You'll know once you get it down.

+1
    Zip tie the seat latch to the grab handle so your ski doesn't sink when you land tail first.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Zip tie the seat latch to the grab handle so your ski doesn't sink when you land tail first.
    +1,good advice.I found these pics on another forum,luckily he had someone close by to help.I've been thrown off jumping a 5ft wave,the take off was slighly off but i was already committed so i just had to hang on and hope for the best!and it hurt!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20090911_085631_sunk.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	192425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20090911_090342_seat.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	192426  

+1

jumping

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter Gp1200R View Post
    Yeah dude I was out there and this one guy who races his GP1300R said that even he isnt crazy enough to go out there. I guess either he doesnt like jumping big stuff or just babies his ski way to much, But I took a shot at it and it beat me up pretty good. I am at work right now with an ice pack on my right knee cap because I took on wave so hard, when i came down, somehow my knee hit the side of the ski, But im hurting all over the place. But it was fun.
    you might take a different approach towards big wave jumping once and if you highly modify your ski.Like your friend, since i putting alot of time and money into my ski and have it set up for speed, i "baby" it alot more and jump small wakes only.A jet ski can handle alot of pounding and crashing as its designed to do but i heard and read of breaking motor mounts and a constant pounding cannot be good, but its your call.My old Kawa zxi just luvved 'good air" or any small 2 seater that you love to beat the sh#t out of makes a good jumper

+1
    Does the small rear seat float on the fzr? Haven't lost it yet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information