Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying Polaris 1997 785 PRO SLX

I'm looking at buing this ski. Havn't seen yet - pics look great - but you know how pics can cover up issues. Owner wants $500 with a trailer. He says main bearings need replacement. I'm expecting much more wrong with the engine. Is this worth the effort or am I buying a money pit. I checked on ebay, as the parts are more scarce than the 800 and other engines. Any ideas?
    thanks

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The price of $500.00 for a pro and trailer is a great price even if it needs a crank. I'm sure Lugs can give you a idea on what they run. But if I crank went you may need pistons and cyls also. When crank bearing go out,they leave alot of damage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mainepilot View Post
    I'm looking at buing this ski. Havn't seen yet - pics look great - but you know how pics can cover up issues. Owner wants $500 with a trailer. He says main bearings need replacement. I'm expecting much more wrong with the engine. Is this worth the effort or am I buying a money pit. I checked on ebay, as the parts are more scarce than the 800 and other engines. Any ideas?
    thanks
    if it was near me.. i would pic her up! not a bad price.. you might just be better off finding a motor and then selling whats salvagable from the original motor.. or keeping for spares

+1
    [QUOTE=ryandi2;1454784]if it was near me.. i would pic her up! not a bad price

Now your on the right track ryan!// keep looking! we'll find ya one! lol your going to own 1 someday...... admit it! The addiction just gets worse as you go. lol

I bet if I let you ride my Pro, you'd go to the bank and go find one for sale and buy it on the spot.lol I'd rather buy an empty ski or buy it running already.. hopefully someone has one that runs, put a ton in money in it already and you get it for cheap.. thats the deal to look for..

then your not spending 250.hole for plating and pistons and bearings and crank. that alone is a 1000.00 or more. right there..

cranks are pricey for the Pro. 350-600 I think Ive seen on here for rebuilds. depends whats wrong with it.. then ya got rods to deal with 65 each, bearings, pins,clips, pistons, bores checked. possible re plating,, The Pro has a thing called nicasil plating on the cylinders for heat transfer ,hardness and a good surface to run high rpms pistons in..its only a few thous thick. made of nickel..

500.00 is still a good deal for the ski and trailer. I would get it.. Just be prepared to spend some money to fix it.. if you want to go cheaper, buy a 750.. you can find one running for 500.00 probably pretty easily.. easier to find parts. they are plentiful and way cheaper.. if your not looking to get into a money pit, then stay away from the Pro.. its a gas hog too. but I love mine..lol

ps ( i also have 2 750's to ride. better gas mileage, can do spins with them, very fun skis too. each has thier good and bad about them) up to you.

You're not gonna believe this!! Got the ski and aluminum trailer for $500. Checked it out and found the grate was broken - put a wrench on it and turned it backwards with no problem. I think it needs a new impeller, ;but that seems to be good. I think the engine is OK... How's that for a lucky deal.. I'll let you all know how it's coming out!! : -)

+1
    ill give you 800 and come get it from you! if the motor is good! you can keep the trailer!

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mainepilot View Post
    You're not gonna believe this!! Got the ski and aluminum trailer for $500. Checked it out and found the grate was broken - put a wrench on it and turned it backwards with no problem. I think it needs a new impeller, ;but that seems to be good. I think the engine is OK... How's that for a lucky deal.. I'll let you all know how it's coming out!! : -)
    Congrats --as the leading cheap ass/785/lucky guy --way to go
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120557864526
    now put up some pics and good luck with it
    matt

+1
    Ryan, quit trying to buy other peoples Pros. lol Find your own.lol leave the guy alone.lol I'm kidding Bro...

We'll find ya one.

Get some compression numbers for us. And Pics.. we love Pics.

+1
    haha im just messin with the guy lol!

thats awesome he got it for so cheap

polaris underworld strikes again!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandi2 View Post
    haha im just messin with the guy lol!

thats awesome he got it for so cheap

polaris underworld strikes again!
    I know... just messing with ya.. yeah, thats a good deal if the crank n pistons are good. The trailer alone is worth at least 150.00 all day long. even more in some other states.. that means you got the ski for 350.00

Wheres the pics of it? Pics Pics Pics,,,,,????????? Ryan, start hitting craigslist!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information