Question Sparkplugs wear very Quickly - FX HO 2006

Hi all

I have a strange problem...
    I have change my spark plugs because during my last ride, my rpm didn't go above 7000 rpm (!)
    Once spark plugs change, I ride again and everything worked fine, rpm was OK during about 2 hours...
    But after these 2 hours, my rpm falls down to 7000 again...

I have no warning light on the board, the motor starts fine idling at 1500rpm... the sound is just quite different, seems to be rough

Anyone have an idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Hi all

I have a strange problem...
    I have change my spark plugs because during my last ride, my rpm didn't go above 7000 rpm (!)
    Once spark plugs change, I ride again and everything worked fine, rpm was OK during about 2 hours...
    But after these 2 hours, my rpm falls down to 7000 again...

I have no warning light on the board, the motor starts fine idling at 1500rpm... the sound is just quite different, seems to be rough

Anyone have an idea ?
    I have a 2008 FX HO (same engine) and have the sam eissue with lower top end speed and idle sound is different. I picked up new plugs, but haven't had a chance to install them yet. My HO only has 18 hours total and the original plugs I took out were pretty black at the igniter. Let me know if you find anything out, I'll let you know how my new plugs fair this weekend.

Make sure you don't have the oil tank overfull. Remember to check the oil when the engine is hot. If you check it cold you will overfill it and foul spark plugs.

I will check spark plugs to see how they are wear...
    Make sure you don't have the oil tank overfull. Remember to check the oil when the engine is hot. If you check it cold you will overfill it and foul spark plugs.
    How the overfillment of oil tank can wear the spark plugs? Perhaps because of piston rings?!

+1
    Also, do not idle for long when motor is cold......these small diameter plugs really do not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I will check spark plugs to see how they are wear...
    How the overfillment of oil tank can wear the spark plugs? Perhaps because of piston rings?!

The crankcase breather is located in the air box. If it is overfull with oil it will push oil vapor into the air box and right down the throttle bodies.

I just remove my spark plugs to inspect them... They seems to be OK (light tan color...)
    Assuming that this problem was due to the oil tank overfull, What are the actions sequence should I take to solve my problem ?

Right now, when motor is cold, my oil level is just touch the bottom of dipstick.

Thread Information