Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My ski always works sometimes... griffin55's Avatar
    +1

Hard to start after a few days

I just bought a 2000 GP1200R a few weeks ago (first ski). I noticed that if it sits in the garage for more than a few days, then it's difficult to start for the first time. By "difficult" I mean it takes a few times on the start button while putzing with the choke and throttle.

I start it up before I leave for the boat launch so I don't waste my time dropping it in the water if it won't start, which is how I noticed this trend.

Once it starts the first time, I have no issues for the rest of the time out. It starts on the first try every time after that.

I just put in new plugs. Is this just normal for carbureted engines?

+1

Hard to start after a few days

Quote Originally Posted by griffin55 View Post
    I just bought a 2000 GP1200R a few weeks ago (first ski). I noticed that if it sits in the garage for more than a few days, then it's difficult to start for the first time. By "difficult" I mean it takes a few times on the start button while putzing with the choke and throttle.

I start it up before I leave for the boat launch so I don't waste my time dropping it in the water if it won't start, which is how I noticed this trend.

Once it starts the first time, I have no issues for the rest of the time out. It starts on the first try every time after that.

I just put in new plugs. Is this just normal for carbureted engines?
    Welcome to the world of carburated 2 strokes!

My ski always works sometimes... griffin55's Avatar
    +1
    Believe it or not, that's the response I was hoping for .

My only other experience with carbureted engines is my snowblower and I just hold the electric start until that fires up!

+1
    It's not that unusual. Reach around the stinger to the accelerator pump on the #3 carb and give it a few shots before you start it.

might try a primer kit

+1
    Primer Kits A cure for hard starting motors. Draws fuel from the fuel line to give the carburetor a blast of fuel for easy starting. Replaces restrictive choke assemblies. RY1012Primer Kit, Single Carb$ 34.95 RY1012CPrimer Pump Only, push-pull type$ 19.95 RY10121Primer Kit, Dual Carbs, except YAM 800 Powervalve 66E$ 39.95 RY10121-66EPrimer Kit, Dual Carbs, YAM 800 Powervalve 66E only$ 39.95 RY10123Primer Kit, Triple Carbs, YAM 1200 all$ 54.95 Top of Page

Make sure the battery has a real good state of charge (these ski's hate low voltage). Pull the choke full out and leave out, and pump the throttle a few times before cranking (this operates the accelerator pump to get a bit of extra gas into the carb mouths). Then pump the throttle quickly a few times while cranking (do not hold the throttle open as it stops the fuel being pumped properly). Don't crank for more than 15 seconds without a break or the starter and leads will get a tad hot! Once started, push the choke full in. If this still doesn't help, fit a triple primer! Once I got the hang of it, I never had a problem, but that battery voltage is critical I find. I start my ski (same motor as yours) every 4-5 days just to help keep fresh fuel in the carbs, which also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    Primer Kits A cure for hard starting motors. Draws fuel from the fuel line to give the carburetor a blast of fuel for easy starting. Replaces restrictive choke assemblies. RY1012Primer Kit, Single Carb$ 34.95 RY1012CPrimer Pump Only, push-pull type$ 19.95 RY10121Primer Kit, Dual Carbs, except YAM 800 Powervalve 66E$ 39.95 RY10121-66EPrimer Kit, Dual Carbs, YAM 800 Powervalve 66E only$ 39.95 RY10123Primer Kit, Triple Carbs, YAM 1200 all$ 54.95 Top of Page
    +1 my 1200 was the same way till the choke plates were removed and primer installed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zx11rider View Post
    +1 my 1200 was the same way till the choke plates were removed and primer installed
    And easy to install!

my 02 800R was very fussy, if i didn't ride if for more than a few days then the routine was 8 full pulls of the throttle with no choke and it'd fire right up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information