+1

thinking about joining USCG axuiliary

I've been thinking about joining the Coast Guard Auxiliary, I've done a lot of research and it's something that really interests me. Anyone have any personal experience in the auxiliary or any info worth sharing? Thanks

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1

Good Fun

The auxillary is a great place to be on the water, do a service to your community, and learn some good boating skills. I was a member for a couple of years before I started moving around with work. I loved it. Matter of fact, I was the PWC safety instructor for our area back in the mid 90's. What a blast !!
    I can't say enough about being out with a crew and getting involved in all kinds of incidents . If I could, I would join again now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by maxadrenaline View Post
    The auxillary is a great place to be on the water, do a service to your community, and learn some good boating skills. I was a member for a couple of years before I started moving around with work. I loved it. Matter of fact, I was the PWC safety instructor for our area back in the mid 90's. What a blast !!
    I can't say enough about being out with a crew and getting involved in all kinds of incidents . If I could, I would join again now.
    Thanks for the good info This is exaclty what I am looking for in the aux. Not that this will effect my decision on joining, but are there any perks in the aux?

+1

uscg

Great another guy out there to pull me over!, seriously great decision and you enjoy being out on the water already. You'll learn lifesaving skills something that very rewarding, good luck

+1
    I joined a few months ago. I can't give you many tips as a relatively new member myself, but you really can't go wrong. Being at the stations and interacting with the active duty is whats its all about. The instruction you receive is pretty common knowledge, but there some things you will need to know.

One word of advice if you are thinking about joining submit everything now. The process is VERY slow. I just became a member after 2 months of wait time, but I will not be considered a "full" member until a background check which I am told can take a few more months.

Adam

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Great another guy out there to pull me over!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam E. View Post
    I joined a few months ago. I can't give you many tips as a relatively new member myself, but you really can't go wrong. Being at the stations and interacting with the active duty is whats its all about. The instruction you receive is pretty common knowledge, but there some things you will need to know.

One word of advice if you are thinking about joining submit everything now. The process is VERY slow. I just became a member after 2 months of wait time, but I will not be considered a "full" member until a background check which I am told can take a few more months.

Adam
    Good tip Adam, I'll get started right away

Thread Information