Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Project GP1300R Remove Decals and Foot Mats

I'm a newb here, but no stranger to forums and the unwillingness of some members to contribute to excellent forums such as Greenhulk. With that said, here's my first contribution.

Little background. I just picked up a bone stock 2004 GP1300R. I got a great price on the ski, but it needed a little cosmetic TLC. The hull was yellow from being in the water a lot, the decals were in poor condition, and the stock foot mats were absolutely atrocious looking.

Step 1 - Clean Hull

I purchased a hull cleaner called Star Brite Instant Hull Cleaner after seeing some demos on Youtube. All I can say is wow! Almost instant results. Simply wet a sponge with the cleaner and wipe on. No need to rub or scrape following treatment. Wait for a minute after applying and simply rinse off with water. Yellow hull went from yellow to white instantly.

Step 2 - Remove Decals

Removing the decals was a relative breeze. I used an industrial heatgun made by a company called Eddy Products in Racine, WI. You can purchase them from their eCommerce site at http://www.heatgunstore.com. The heatgun I have is a variable temperature gun. Simply use the heatgun on it's coolest setting to heat up the sticker and help loosen the adhesive. Following a quick treatment with the heatgun, you can simply start to peel away the decal. Most decals came off clean. A few left behind some adhesive. Simply use some acetone on a rag to wipe away the remaining adhesive. Acetone seemed to work better at removing the adhesive over brake cleaner.

Heatgun Used - http://www.heatgunstore.com/Shop/Hea...S4C23I156.aspx

Step 3 - Remove foot mats

I'll be honest, this was extremely labor intensive! First step is to use the heatgun over the existing mats to loosen the adhesive underneath. Just be careful not to use the heatgun over one area too long. I worked a small area of each mat first and began peeling back the foot mats. I used a bondo spatula (you can use a credit card also) to help cut away the mat as I was peeling it back. This technique helped to ensure most of the mat was removed and not left behind. Once the mat is removed, adhesive and old mat will be left behind. I then treated this area with a liberal amount of break cleaner. Let sit for a few seconds. The brake cleaner helped to remove the older mat and loosen up the adhesive. Next, I would take the bondo spatulas and scrape the loose adhesive and old mat off. Once most of the adhesive was off, acetone helped finish the area off by removing the remaining adhesive.

Simply repeat for all mats. The rear deck mat was a little more difficult. I had to remove the rear rub rail by drilling through the 5 or 6 rivots that held it in place. You simply drill the head off the rivot and punch it through with a hammer and punch. I will replace these will stainless screws when reinstalling the rails.

Here's a video of the completed job. I'm now looking for new decals, so if anyone has suggestions, let me know!

Last edited by kbaker13; 06-10-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Looking good
    Thanks for some tips
    Mike

good info...were did you buy the cleaner?

Sorry for the late reply. I purchased the cleaner at Blaine's Farm and Fleet, it's a local retail store with anything you can imagine. If you go the Star Brite website, I believe they list local retailers.

+1
    Try using Toluene on the mat adhesive. It turns it to jelly and it just wipes off!
    Also 3M make a decal removal wheel that basically buffs off the stickers and works a treat.

I'll be doing this soon to my ski so would be nice to know where you get your new decals from. Looks good!

+1
    Great post...

Two things....
    1. When using acetone be sure to use gloves. It is absorbed through the skin and is cumulative. That means it never leaves the body and continues to build up.could cause serioushealth issues down the line.
    2. Home Depot and Lowes sells a product called GOOP OFF that also works great on mat adhesive.

+1
    Great post!
    I have looked into buying the starbrite hull cleaner, but recent reviews via West Marine say the product has changed its formula; producing terrible results?? Anyone use it lately?

Thanks Jay

+1
    Hello I also wanted to remove all the decals on my 08 GP1300R, after following some GH advice I went out and purchased a GUM/Rubber type wheel for my highspeed drill it sucked. So I returned it and decide to just take my halgen shop light that can really put out some heat ... point to decal for a few mins and whala .... removed in no time no mess

+1
    Add-on, after peel off of sticker just use some Goo Off works great!

+1
    For the floor mats, I poured gasoline on it, covered it with plastic and let it soak for like 10 and it came up no problem. Then I cleaned it up with acetone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information