Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did the 1200 have rubber cylinder base gaskets?

So my "new" genesis was doing fine all weekend. I had it out both Sat. and Sun. and after taking care of the warm restart issue, I had zero problems....until I got home. When I got home, I tried to start it up to blow and water out of the exhaust. It immediately didn't sound right. It seemed like it was missing on a cylinder and sounded horrible. I immediately ran compression on it and found that the MAG was down to 90 while the other two were still at ~120. Bad news.

After pulling the head and seeing the telltale signs of a piece of ring getting slammed in to it I was a tad worried. Although it was odd that the piston didn't have any damage to it.

I managed to pull the jug tonight and you can see what I found in the pics below. It appears that the piston had some type of seizure. It looked like it was getting plenty of oil so it leads me to think that maybe it was lean...although the wash looked pretty damn good to me....it might have been a very recent fuel issue. Both rings were fully intact.

But the part the bugs me is how the cylinder base gaskets appeared to be some rubber-like material. All my other domestics have been a paper-based gasket.

It would appear that this machine ran hot at some point as the rubber gasket was very deformed and was almost oozing out around the base and in to the cooling jacket. Is this a stock gasket? There was some evidence that at least this one jug had been removed before, but all three at the same type of gasket material. I'm thinking the MAG had lost a ring some time in the past and the piston and jug were replaced but they left the dinged up dome.

My plan now is to locate another piston and most likely a jug. I already have 3 sets of stock rings on the way from ebay. I'm going to pull all 3 jugs, give them a light hone and re-ring them all. And, unless someone tells me a reason not to, I'm going to use some extra paper-type gaskets from my 1050's. Any reason not to use the old style gasket?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl0.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	192461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl1.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	192462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl2.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	192463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl3.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	192464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl4.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	192465  

After a second glance, it would appear I'm a victim of a previous owner's stupidity.

It looks like the jugs were pulled at some point and the damaged stock gaskets were supplemented with some black rtv. There were still remnants of the stock gasket on the intake side, but the exhaust side was mostly RTV. It looks like the other two cylinders will look the same way.

I'm leaning now toward an air leak and a lean seize.

When I first checked it out, the MAG cylinder was about 5 psi lower in compression than the the other two. It's likely this was a developing problem that just got worse when I rode it a little hard on Sunday.

+1
    I think you answered your own question. Looks like paper gaskets and RTV to me too.

I prefer the newer style rubber coated aluminum base gasket that is used on the 800 VES sled motors. More durable, reusable, and easy to remove.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

the 1200 gaskets had a strip of material that was left out and the manual says to lay a bead of rtv across just that one section.maybe the mag got reringed by the prev owner and the other 2 jugs were taken off and looked at??

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    I prefer the newer style rubber coated aluminum base gasket that is used on the 800 VES sled motors. More durable, reusable, and easy to remove.
    This is the first I've heard of using the sled gasket,Do Tell More.
    What models would they work on? All domestics? What about the MSX 140's?

Keddano-

They will fit all domestics, including the MSX...I've used them for years on sleds, and Richie Sharp recommended I use them on my 1156 motor (had never thought about it)...I believe they are a few thou thicker, but not enough to make a difference in port timing or compression. I use a light coat of 1211 on them (per Richie), or a light coat of permatex "copper gasket spray". I don't have the part number handy, but its from a twin cylinder 800, 2002-2005 XCSP, RMK, ProX, SKS, or Switchback...NOT XCR.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Keddano-

They will fit all domestics, including the MSX...I've used them for years on sleds, and Richie Sharp recommended I use them on my 1156 motor (had never thought about it)...I believe they are a few thou thicker, but not enough to make a difference in port timing or compression. I use a light coat of 1211 on them (per Richie), or a light coat of permatex "copper gasket spray". I don't have the part number handy, but its from a twin cylinder 800, 2002-2005 XCSP, RMK, ProX, SKS, or Switchback...NOT XCR.
    Cool,Hopefully the MSX won't be coming apart soon,but if it does,that will be the whip to use. Thanks

Keddano-

Interesting. They're listed at $3.90 on Partsland....vs. $7.35 for the stock 1200 ones.

Edit, I take that back. I looked at an '02 RMK and it listed those. An '03 has the following description:
    GASKET-CYL BASE METAL 800 9.89

+1
    Personally i like the 700 sled base gaskets best. They are paper, but they are complete (no rtv needed to fill void) And the main reason i used those on my 1200 over 800 sled gaskets is where the coolant passage is on the front of the cases, on an 800 sled the coolant passage is smaller and the bore on the cases is bigger. When you go to use it on the pwc cases, that part of the gasket is thin, and the bore on the cases is smaller and the coolant passage is bigger, so there would be hardly any gasket on the cases, most of it would hang into the coolant passage. Basically in simpler terms an 800 gasket is a mismatch for the 1200 cases. A 700 gasket is a direct match for them. The metal ones That Polarisnut is talking about might be different though, i'm not sure. When i was putting my 1200 together i checked all the different paper gasket thicknesses and they were all the same. The 700 sled gasket was a perfect match though for fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information