98 GTX Blown Motor Removed, Took Pics

For starters i am not a sea doo mechanic, i know very little but hope to learn alot, im a honda nut and thats about it. We..me my brother and sister all pitched in and bought a 98 gtx back in 99. Went through hell after the motor ate itself about a year and a half ago, paid a shop large sums of money almost every 4 months for repairs, then had a motor replaced, put maybe 20 hours on it and the motor blew...decided i was tired of paying a shop to screw me

the plan is to remove the motor etc myself, find a good reputable shop to build/repair this motor and re-install the motor myself'

anywho, with much help from members of this forum we got the motor out tonight, was a royal pita to lift it out of the sea doo by hand, ended up taking off the intake pipe and exhaust manifold to get it out'

the shop said the motor dropped a rave on the top of the piston and it blew the motor, motor had very, very little hours on it but about 1.5years of owning after the swap....we only use it on summer vacations and were not down there much...anywho as you can see the top of the piston is damaged, the sleeve is scratched in two spots in that same cylinder from the damage

what pisses my off the most is i have recietes for when they "replaced" the fuel lines...how-ever they are the old grey lines

Any-1 reccomend any particular shops for the rebuild? Was hoping to find a shop that would take everything i have, use what they can and build me a fresh motor without costing a kidney.

pic's:

thanks guys, i appreciate the info in the other thread about removing the pump etc, worked like a charm, now just searching on a good shop to have build me a motor

+1
    Ok, first of all that is not a '98 GTX. It is either a '96 or a '97 (obviously a GTX, of course)

The '98 was a GTX Limited and it was dark red where your's has green and it had a 947 engine where your's has the 787.

As to the RAVE valve dropping. Unless it broke I am not sure how that could happen. They can not really spin, though I suppose if the bellows had come off it might, so how could it come unscrewed?

Actually, that little chip in the side of the piston looks more like the ring spun. This can be caused by a number of things including cheap junk pistons, a lean engine due to a bad fuel system, or too much timing (if it is on the front piston).

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Ok, first of all that is not a '98 GTX. It is either a '96 or a '97 (obviously a GTX, of course)

The '98 was a GTX Limited and it was dark red where your's has green and it had a 947 engine where your's has the 787.

As to the RAVE valve dropping. Unless it broke I am not sure how that could happen. They can not really spin, though I suppose if the bellows had come off it might, so how could it come unscrewed?

Actually, that little chip in the side of the piston looks more like the ring spun. This can be caused by a number of things including cheap junk pistons, a lean engine due to a bad fuel system, or too much timing (if it is on the front piston).
    my bad, 97gtx'

ill dig more into the motor tomorrow, thats what the "shop" said when we originally took it back into them, my guess would say the piston spun because of a lean condition because they never replaced the fuel lines like they were supose to on one of my clearly marked recites.....spark plug from that cylinder indicated a lean condition

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by digital sol View Post
    my bad, 97gtx'

ill dig more into the motor tomorrow, thats what the "shop" said when we originally took it back into them, my guess would say the piston spun because of a lean condition because they never replaced the fuel lines like they were supose to on one of my clearly marked recites.....spark plug from that cylinder indicated a lean condition

This being the case, have the carbs cleaned/rebuilt and change the fuel lines too.

Back in the day the dealers used the gray lines as replacements. SD did not go to the black rubber marine fuel lines until '01/'02 ('02s have them, anyway) so they may have replaced them, with lines that would do the same as the original.

However, the good money is on that they charged you for it and did not do it.

That said, you can get a fairly reliable reman 787 from SBT. I know of several that have been installed and have run well (though I swear they are not as powerful as an OE engine but that is IMO) for a long time. They do honor the warranty for any reason.

OE is the best stuff to use, but on a 787 or smaller SD I would still consider SBT.

Thread Information