Strainier on newer ski's with the IBR motor/module

Has anyone put a strainer on yet?

I bought one from Jerry - came in today which was perfect because my dealer had the iS body up so he could reinstall my SC - IC hose with the new clamps. Gave me a chance to see into the bottom of the ski.

Looks like the water from the pump goes into the IBR module and splits off from the IBR module to the exhaust and IC using separate hoses. There's also a smaller hose coming from the pump to the IC as well - not sure if that is an exit or input hose...

Anway - I can put the strainer on the existing IBR to IC cooling hose but, the only way to inspect it will be to take the bolts out of the storage container on the port side which is not something I want to do regularly. I'm thinking of getting a longer hose, running it from the IBR module over to the starboard side and mounting the strainer under the storage cover on that side. That storage cover is easy to remove so it would be easy to inspect/clean/replace as needed. Of course I'd have to run the hose back over to the other side of the ski and into the intercooler...

That would make the total hose length somewhere around 5-6 feet - does anyone see a problem with that? I'm thinking not because the cooling hose for my bud's sho runs from the back of the ski to the front of the motor - probably 3-4 feet long...

If anyone has already done this - I'd be glad to hear how you did it...

BTW - does it matter on this strainer if its upright, sideways etc? Once it fills up it shouldn't matter but I figured I'd ask in case someone has had a problem mounting it other than upright

domo,

Ray

p.s. is a strainer on the exhaust cooling hose side really needed? If so, that would mean I'd have to get two....

+1

Re: Strainier on newer ski's with the IBR motor/module

Personally I would mount it upright. They are worth there weight in gold! If you can hook it before the it splits it's best. Most here try to filter all water.

The hose from the pump to the IBR module is short - only about 8 inches. But, I suppose I could lengthen that hose to the other side of the ski instead of the IBR-IC hose...

I ran a strainer in my 95 XP SS back in the day until it blew the plastic bowl off...the strainers weren't built too well back then. I haven't ran any strainers on any of my subsequent ski and never had a problem...but I see they are recommended here - at least for the intercoolers...

The bright side of putting a strainer on this is the flush fitting reverse flushes the water cooled lines so the strainer would be reverse flushed too and anything trapped inside should be washed out through the pump...

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=118530&page=7

See post #65 for strainer & shutoff valve on X260

Thanks JPT - your picture only shows the strainer and not what the hoses are connected too - did you put it before the IBR or after?

domo,

Ray

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinJapan View Post
    Thanks JPT - your picture only shows the strainer and not what the hoses are connected too - did you put it before the IBR or after?

domo,

Ray
    Expand the picture, it shows the hose coming from the iBr straight up into the strainer, then to intake (lower) of IC. Shutoff valve is inline with hose going to exhaust manifold. Very easy getting to both.

Forgive me if I'm blind JPT but I don't see the hose coming from the IBR, or where the output of the strainer goes (of course I see the strainer hoses, but ...)...but you answered my question - you installed it on the output of the IBR to the SC so that's cool - thanks for the info - greatly appreciated.

Ray

Thread Information