Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

93 sl650 Fuji no spark

Hello,

First off, being my first post, I'd like to thank GH for such abundant of information which has built me enough courage, after a week of reading, to go out and get a pair of partial-running skis to tinker with
    Got them both running now, my special thank to posts made by K447, CrazyA, beerdart, ph2ocraft, .. I'm sure there're more of you but just can't remember off top of my head

Now I'm having spark issue with the 93 sl650 and can't seem to find info to nail down what is wrong. So, here the description:

1st Time
    No spark after 2 hrs of joy riding
    Found K447's post and checked reading on all the wires per 92-98 service manual. All checked good.
    After battery's fully charged, put everything backing in and got sparks!!!!
    I assumed it was weak battery because I did not checked it correctly while cranking, and found out how to check it after I already had it out on the charger.

2nd Time
    Back to the water for more joy riding
    Noticed skis did not start easy. Had to crank like 5 seconds before it would start.
    Again after about 2 hr of joy ride, took a break for lunch, now the ski won't start. No spark again!!!!!
    Battery checked 11.4 .... Hmmmm...
    Found CrazyA's post. Disconnect the kill switch and got sparks!!!!
    Yup, kill switch is dirty. Got it cleaned up. Metered it for open/close. Put everything back and skis started right up. Whoo hoo.
    Took it out to the water. Started it up and idled about 100 yds just to get out of other boat's way. Parked it, went get the stuffs and the skis won't start Again no sparks !!

Just finished pumping out excess fuel from the piston from trying to get it to start out in the water. Certainly, I don't want to check for sparks now when garage is full of gasoline fuel. I would like to ask the expert if there's anything else I could check to determine the cause.

What I have check so far:
    Battery cranking = 11.4
    Alternator Coil (red/pur to yellow) = .6 ohms
    Trigger Coil (White/Yellow to Blk) = 220
    Exciter Coil (Red/White to Green/Red = 490

Primary (Black to Black/White) each = .2 - .3
    2ndary (Black to high lead) = 3.3k
    Spark Plug Cap = 5.0 k

I have not been able to test stator with 9v battery technique yet, because my ski does not have same wire color as in some of the guides I found here. Not sure which wire to hook up. Any pointer would much appreciated.

TIA

+1
    Update!
    Just went out and found the garage cleared of fume. Cranked the ski and got sparks again
    So, it seems I got sparks when the electric box is open and if-fy when it closes.
    Could it be the voltage rectifier sandwiched underneath the CDI? How can I check it?
    Thanks,

+1
    Found a cracked in the regulator/rectifier (#23 in the electrical box). This thing supposed to be assembled under #26 according to the picture, but somehow it was on top and cracked by the wire connector crushing down by the CDI box. I put a zip tie around closing up the crack and spark problem seems to go away. It's still hard to start about 1 in 4 or 5 trys, but the condition improved so much that I could say #23 is the culprit.
    Had the part ordered, and will confirm the fix later.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Good deal, Love the nickname. Welcome aboard

+1
    Thanks Keddano! Ya know, my nick is another way to spell "perfectionist" <grin>

Still did not get my part Ordered it on 6/10 but it's scheduled for 6/24-25 delivery. Don't know why it take so long. Then Babbits called yesterday saying the part is discontinued and there're no substitute available <sucks>.
    Luckily, found a couple on Ebay, cheaper too :> Here I go .... waiting for my part again ...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Which part number are you hunting for?

John Zigler is a good source for used parts.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

+1
    It's 4060096. I already bought one off Ebay.
    Thanks for the reminder. I'll look John up for future needs.

hi there mate i jad this same problem was a nightmare but hey ho i went and bought a stator and ut it in sorted was great but only thing is i have to do is sort out a revving problem

+1
    Finally, it's confirmed!!! that my intermittent fire issue was caused by bad voltage regulator/rectifier (LR-21, pn 4060096). I put the new part in and went riding good half day with out a hitch. I guess I'm lucky this time it was not the stator. Yeah, it would be some work replacing it

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by loonatik View Post
    Finally, it's confirmed!!! that my intermittent fire issue was caused by bad voltage regulator/rectifier (LR-21, pn 4060096). I put the new part in and went riding good half day with out a hitch. I guess I'm lucky this time it was not the stator. Yeah, it would be some work replacing it
    This is on your 1993 SL 650?

All you did was change the LR module, and it corrected a Fuji engine ignition problem?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information