Banned User
    +1

SBT impeller exchange

I just received an exchange impeller from SBT for my 94 SL650. However the polaris number on the impeller is for the 750. I called SBT and they said it would work. I want to know if this is ok or do I need to get a different impeller.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Check to see if it fits in the housing. The 650 is a smaller size then the 148mm prop used in all the bigger models. It is very likely they took a beat up 148mm prop and cut it back to a 142mm(I think that's the size on the 650)dia and set it to the 650 spec. WHEN YOU SEND A PROP TO SBT FOR REWORK,It is a exchange program,meaning you should get back a comparable prop, not you same one. And as long as you get a repaired prop that is the same as you sent,then there is no problem with this. This is one of the reason for the low price.

You could check it with a prop gauge. The good news is there are alot of the 650 props out there that no one really wants,so the prices are cheap. Let me know if you need one,I gave another member 2 of them and I think he upgraded to a 148 pump.

Banned User
    +1
    its a 94 with the 148mm pump......in the Polaris manual the number on the impeller I was sent was for a SL 780. The diameter is correct i am just assuming the pitch might be different. Polaris P/N 5131079 is what I was sent. Manual shows Polaris P/N 5131056 is for the SL650, which is what I removed. Setting the two next to each other, there appears to be more pitch to the new one I was sent compared to the one I removed. What effect would a steeper pitch impeller have on performance? I am assuming that it wouldnt allow the engine to reach full RPM due to too high of a load.

+1
    A steeper pitch will travel father in the water per revolution.= more top speed vs less holeshot. The question is do you have enough Hp to spin it?

Polaris P/N 5131079 was used on the '94 SL750 and the '95 SLTX780/ '96 SLT780.

Solas list using a 12/17 Swirl on the '94 650 and also on the '95 SLT 750 as a replacement.

NuJet list using a PL_A50 for the '94-95 650,and then list it also for the '94-95 SL750 as a replacement.

So the props used between the 650,750 and 780 are all very close. You won't know till you try it on the water,but I would think you would be good.

Banned User
    +1
    Just spoke with SBT. They explained that when the remake these impellers, they grind them to their own specs. So although the part number was different, it should work out. I will test it out and see how it works. I was told it was remade to a 12/18 pitch, which I would think would work. The gentleman I spoke with was very helpful.

+1
    Which could very well be. Repitching is common with props in a close range.

good info: DrewNJ and myself were discussing what SBT does, and what if they don`t have a prop for your model. DrewNJ was told that if they don`t have your exact prop, you would need to send yours in for repair.

Did they not have the exact prop for you in stock? there was also mentioned on their web that if they didn`t they would send you an aftermarket replacement at whatever price, and I saw no listing for aftermarket props.

we were curious as to their repair work, how is the quality?

Banned User
    +1
    The impeller I received from them looks great. I would take a picture but its already in the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The impeller I received from them looks great. I would take a picture but its already in the ski.

MAKE sure you send the old one back... within 2 weeks lol they will charge you a ton of money if not.

unless you just bought the refurb one.

Thread Information