Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

possible supercharger problem

here we go....just bought a 2008 ultra 250x with 41 hours for $5,000. it fell off the trailer at 70mph on interstate 95. i fixed the bottom, gave it a new hood and began the mod process. started one step at a time with the ram air, and riva plate. i took a trip around manhattan island in nyc, where i encountered roughly 4 foot swells. great conditions for an ultra; however, i sipped a little water either threw the ram air, or the legendary kawi leaky hood. mopped up the valve cover a few times, and the water seemed to boil off. i did notice a steady drop in rpm's, about 300-400. when i first got the boat it had NO gas in it. i put 5 gallons in and went out to gps to make sure the boat did what it was supposed to, which it did.

THE PROBLEM:
    I think i could possibly have 2 issues.

1. possibly a clogged injector from low fuel, which would cause the boat to run lean. (since i noticed the bov leaking and blocked it so i have full boost, the boat won't even get up on plain). to me this indicated too much air , and not enough fuel.

2. i plugged the boat into the kawi software, and found that the sensor between the superchrager and the intercooler was giving a high heat indication. my buddies supercharger was idling at 42'c. my boats supercharger was showing 138'c at idle on the hose. i pulled the supercharger, and found no backlash in the gears, and all bearing in perfect operational condition. the lobes however had a small blister that resembled someones eye in size, about 1 inch long, and 1/4 inch wide.

in summary, the supercharger is on fire, and sizzles when i put water on it. is it getting hot from high egt's resulting from a lean condition, or from the blister on the lobes? i will swap my injectors into my buddies boat because the seem a little lazy, and see if his supercharger gets hot. i will report back.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

at WOT, WHATS YOUR BOOST? AND RPM'S ? whats your AFR ?
    how could running lean cause the Super Charger to get sizzling hot?
    Maybe Skip or someone will pipe in soon.

are there two sensors ? 1 before the intercooler and 1 after?

the rpm's are a staggering 7500-7600. the boat gets up to 7200, then dips to 5800, clears out, and will eventually reach around 7600rpm's, but fluctuate between 7650 and 7500. kind of feels like a bad ground on a 2 stroke. the oem boost gage says 11 pounds, but who knows how accurate it really is. there is one sensor for sure between the charger and the intercooler. i will check the intake manifold for another now. fortunately i have 2 boats in my posession, so in will try to get the charger of boat #2 to do the same thing.

UPDATE

i got the supercharger to stop overheating. it appears there was a small slice in the vacum hose that comes off the intake manifold, and goes to the bov. the charger stays at 42'c, but i still have a loss of rpm's. could this be a result of the slight blistering on the supercharge lobes.

Glad to hear you found the problem.

i did not find the whole problem. i only found out why the supercharger was over heating.

the problem that still exists is that there is a small blister about 1 inch long, by 1/4 inch wide in the teflon on one of the lobes of the supercharger.
    WOULD THIS BLISTER CAUSE A LOSS OF 400 RPM'S OR AM I

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FAT BOY View Post
    i did not find the whole problem. i only found out why the supercharger was over heating.

the problem that still exists is that there is a small blister about 1 inch long, by 1/4 inch wide in the teflon on one of the lobes of the supercharger.
    WOULD THIS BLISTER CAUSE A LOSS OF 400 RPM'S OR AM I
    don't think so, loss of boost then loss of rpm you say you have full boost is it at 11 where its should be. you sc definately has a short life left.

check all hoses and spark plugs, what are your rpms @ wot.

this should be in the 4 stroker section.

is the BOV on the back of the intercooler blocked off ?

super charger is working well. there was a small slice in the line that goes from the bov to the intake manifold. just found a small exhaust leak where the stinger pipe meets the head pipe. i had to use a mirror while riding the boat to find it. will report black

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information