Towing the Jetski

Looking to see if thowing this thing is a bad idea? I know I have to pinch the water inlet line (think I will put a shut offvalve on it) But I wanted to know if you guys have much experience towing one of these (97 gsx) behind a twin engine 25' center console. Can I tow it on a slow plane 20-25mph? Will the front eye hold that?

I was going to use some 1/2" anchor line with even a rubber jounce preventor that you wrap the line around to absorb the shock. Going to tow it off the stern eyes.

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    i tow my X4 hulls around all the time with NO issues

but my jet ski i cant...it barrel rolls and wants to nose dive whole time

Hmmm.. Yeah I don't know if mine will do the same thing or not, I'll just try it one day, now how to get the boat and the ski to the ramp... lol!

+1
    A GS hull will tow ok without trying to nose dive and roll. They do tend to whip back and forth in the wake which can cause some rather interesting effects on the tow craft (that is, while towing with another PWC, a boat may shrug a lot of that off).

I have found that the trick is to get your tow line the right length. When towing PWC to PWC the rule is longer is better since this gets the the towee back into a smoother part of the wake. However, if you are going to be doing this a lot you have to be concerned with traffic and keep in mind that if the GSX is too far back some turd will try to go between you. I would suggest putting some flags on the tow rope, something to make it visible.

I was towing a dead '95 XP with a GS in St. Augustine years ago. I have maybe 25 feet of rope on the tow and some butt-wad on a Polaris tried to cut across between the two boats. Said he did not see the rope as if cutting through a gap with barely more than a boat length of clearance was a good idea to begin with.

Yeah, some people you wonder how they lived this long... Flags may be a good idea.

The anchor rope is pretty long but like you said, too long and I'm sure you will have problems with morons with the light switch off.. This will be behind a fairly heavy center console so I would guess the whipping wouldn't effect it too much, is that from the hull or the water intake grate stuffing with water? I was kinda wondering about the front eye being strong enough for this, but seems like you didn't have any issues, guess I could do a larger backing plate if this gets to be routine.

Thanks guys!

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post

I was towing a dead '95 XP with a GS in St. Augustine years ago. I have maybe 25 feet of rope on the tow and some butt-wad on a Polaris tried to cut across between the two boats. Said he did not see the rope as if cutting through a gap with barely more than a boat length of clearance was a good idea to begin with.

i would say there being NO one on it would be a given as well.

Hahahaha!!!!! no kiddin!

Well put a valve on the intake line, works like a charm! We towed it for about 10min then my buddy graciously accepted the task of rippin it all the way to the sandbar..lol

I towed a GTX a few times with a 30 ft boat. Got it up on a plane once... watching it try to wander and dive was too much for my nerves. We slowed down to like 8 knots and assigned one person to keep eyes on it.... of course she didn't, the line came undone, and the ski was found awhile later in the dark. After that I treated it like a skier behind me with no spotter. Pain in the ass and not worth it if your covering much distance.

Thread Information