Ican read and search, but I still have a no spark question

Hello all. about two years ago I got an 96 sl 900 for $200 with a trailer and a damn near perfect body with a detonated middle cyl. I finally got around all the parts and rebuilt it. The only original parts on the long block is two of the cyl. I was assuming since the engine failed when it was running that the electrical system was in ok shape even though it was the old style and I wanted to hear it start before I went and updated to the more reliable stator system. Anyway I am getting a random spark every once in a while when hitting the starter or releasing it but not every time. I've checked the battery voltage while cranking, took kill swith out of play and some of the other tests. I do know that my terminal board is not in very good shape and I'll need a different one. I'm getting the 9 volts from the cdi to the stator, but when I do the 9v battery test to the stator up to the plug I get nothing. My qustion is that even though I'm not getting anything, is there anything on that terminal board (not in very good shape and am actively looking for a replacement) that would prevent the stator from sending a spark even with the battery test? I want to upgrade the stator eventually, but I would also kinda like to hear it fire before I dump more money into it and my wife shoots me.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. Even with research,you'll still have questions,which is fine. What voltage are you getting when cranking? Even at around 12 volts you can get a intermittant spark.Mine the other day at 11.8 volts was only getting a spark when I let go of the start button. That was with a brand new Gel cell that hadn't been fully charged(Although it says ready to use.) 20 mins on the charger and everything was spot on.

I'm getting about 11.5v when cranking. I also have a schumacher charger with a 12v start feature that I tried for a sec to see if I would get a spark and there was no change. It's still completely random when I hit the starter or let go of it, there is sometimes a spark. And there is never a spark when I hold down the starter button. I may have a bad stator, but the terminal board I know has issues because while I was moving stuff around in there the bilge pump or trim kicked on for half a second a couple of times I'm not sure which.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvandy1 View Post
    ...the terminal board I know has issues because while I was moving stuff around in there the bilge pump or trim kicked on for half a second a couple of times I'm not sure which.
    Until you have the electrical system connections 100% good and solid, it is difficult to provide any useful diagnostics.

Replace that terminal board, and make sure the wire connections have zero corrosion or other issues.

stupid question, but would the oil level switch have anything to do with it? now that i think about it when I took it out to switch it to pre mix I think its just laying in the bottom of the hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvandy1 View Post
    ...would the oil level switch have anything to do with it?

now that i think about it when I took it out to switch it to pre mix I think its just laying in the bottom of the hull.
    Oil level would not affect spark or starting.

It can affect engine power.

Look up how to remove the oil level sender and bypass it with a 33 ohm resistor in the electrical box. Much tidier, and more reliable

thanks, I'll add that to my list of things to do before I forget about it again.

Thread Information