+1

The sl750 is cut up and gone.

Well today, I had to cut up the sl and get rid of the hull. I took out the trim cable, a few rubrail inserts like xlint said, only had 4 of them salavable. Got the ride plate and grate for james. left the shoe in there. the rest is just glass and an empty tank..

It was pretty interesting cutting it up. I learned about the construction of the hull in the process. The sides of the ski are very thin, 1/8 inch.

The bottom of the hull was almost a half inch thick half way back all the way to the plate. . very strong indeed. The pump area was just as thin as the sides. I was suprized. Not as strong as I would of thought. no wonder skis crack back there. the seam around the hull was excellent and tough to cut thru..

The bow is thin under the ski. the gunnels are thin too but because there curved, it makes itself strong. The glass folds over quite easily and a couple back n forth movements , it cracks it half pretty quick. it actually looked dry. most glass ive cut into is a lot harder, maybe they skimped on the resin.

The bottom was tough to cut, the ribs are thick and takes a bit to get thru them, Just wanted to share the info with everyone just to enlighten you on how there made.

I used a dewalt sawsall and a 12 inch cut -all blade. it made fast work of it.. Dont get me mad, I have experience now tearing into a ski! j/k

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Apparently a circular saw with a good blade also cuts fairly well.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    you were actually cutting SMC (sheet mold compound) I believe it stands for. SLT's were glass I think but not the SL's

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Apparently a circular saw with a good blade also cuts fairly well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    you were actually cutting SMC (sheet mold compound) I believe it stands for. SLT's were glass I think but not the SL's
    yes and yes

Circular saw cuts like a warm knife through butter.

+1
    Hmmm.

I'm not too sure about that. sure looks like glass to me. The bottom might have been SMC, the top looked like itwas glass. I'll snap a picture of it and show ya one of these days. it had glass hairs all in it.. smc doesnt itch does it? I had glass hairs all over my arms after..i was itching a little after.

Does smc look white? I know its says in the manual that the top is smc too. just weird.. Why does the pro look all black like carbon fiber in the hull? thats smc too? 2 different kinds? Im all confused now.. ugh!

I could feel the glass poking me.. Does smc have hairs in it like glass does?

Thread Information