RAVE valve cleaning write up, parts needed?

I did a search for some sort of tutorial on cleaning the RAVE valves on my 96 GSX, and came up with nothing. Can someone please tell me what parts I need to replace (what gaskets) and what I need to do to accomplish this? Also, what tools do I need? My SeaDoo is running fine, I want to do it more for preventative maintenance than anything else. Thanks! -Mike

+1
    Mike,
    Any RAVE problem will cause a drop in topend RPM.
    It is fairly simple. Take of the spring and black caps and move the RAVE slider up and down. It should move effortlessly. Remove the two allen bolts and pull the RAVE out. Unscrew the slider from the exhaust piston and brush clean and degrease. Take the spring off and remove the bellows from the valve housing. Clean the residue out of both. Replace the o-ring on the slider shaft if it is not soft. You can buy a RAVE rebuild kit that will have the o-ring and base gaskets. Make sure that bellows are not cracked or torn. Make sure that the base is turned properly to align the small rave port on the cylinder with the opening on the base.

With the exhaust header on, you will have to take the MAG "front" RAVE apart prior to its removal. This is more difficult. I have found that placing the bellows on the base and then attaching the exhaust piston and spring works best. Don't over-tighten the exhaust piston on the slider. After 14 years of heat cycles the plastic part will be brittle. You may want to replace them with the newer design.

I hope that helps. I am sure that you will get it done without much trouble.

Thanks for the post. I'm going to do this as well for the preventitive aspect. Might be a good one for a sticky if it's not covered yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    Mike,
    Any RAVE problem will cause a drop in topend RPM.
    It is fairly simple. Take of the spring and black caps and move the RAVE slider up and down. It should move effortlessly. Remove the two allen bolts and pull the RAVE out. Unscrew the slider from the exhaust piston and brush clean and degrease. Take the spring off and remove the bellows from the valve housing. Clean the residue out of both. Replace the o-ring on the slider shaft if it is not soft. You can buy a RAVE rebuild kit that will have the o-ring and base gaskets. Make sure that bellows are not cracked or torn. Make sure that the base is turned properly to align the small rave port on the cylinder with the opening on the base.

With the exhaust header on, you will have to take the MAG "front" RAVE apart prior to its removal. This is more difficult. I have found that placing the bellows on the base and then attaching the exhaust piston and spring works best. Don't over-tighten the exhaust piston on the slider. After 14 years of heat cycles the plastic part will be brittle. You may want to replace them with the newer design.

I hope that helps. I am sure that you will get it done without much trouble.

Thanks! I will take some pictures and do a detailed write up when I do this, so I can share with everyone. These updated RAVEs... What years are they off of, and where is the cheapest / best place to purchase them? Approximately how much are they? I'm also wondering, since my SeaDoo runs great, if I should leave well enough alone until they do start sticking and then replace them. Thanks again!

been around the block Stagesrt4's Avatar
    theres a site that rebuilds motors and they posted a how to using a dremel to clean them up...but it wasnt really a detailed how to

if you dont make one, ill try to when i swap mine over.

+1
    If nothing but Sea Doo's XPS oil has been run in it, you most likely don't need to clean them very often at all. That is an expensive oil, but extremely clean burning. I went several years without cleaning mine. If you recently purchased the ski, clean them.

I only use Rotax OEM parts, but you can also get aftermarket rebuild kits for RAVEs from places like SBT.

I only run XPS synthetic 2 stroke in it, as did the previous owner. He said he cleaned them right before I bought it, and I can tell that they have been taken apart before. The paint is all worn on a lot of the bolts.

I'm a Corvette guy, and one of the things I love about the Corvette Forum is how everyone makes detailed writeups for EVERYTHING and takes lots of pictures. I tried doing that on here with the carb cleaning thread, and the stator/pickup replacement thread. I'd like to see more of it, its incredibly helpful. I intend on documenting everything I do to my SeaDoo, I believe it will be very useful to other forum members. So, when I get around to it, I will make a detailed writeup for RAVE valve cleaning!

Thread Information