+1

How do I measure cylinder head volume?

Sorry for the ignorance.
    How do I accurately measure cylinder head volume??
    Do you measure with a spark plug in etc??
    Also, can I use a oem head gasket on a o ringed head to decrease the compression/increase the head volume?

+1
    I have used a tool called a burret. I found this explanation.

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...amber%20Volume

+1
    ...Also Randy @ Watcon.com sells them

I think he gets like $75.00
    Last edited by WFO; 09-27-2006 at 02:48 PM.

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    Sorry for the ignorance.
    How do I accurately measure cylinder head volume??
    Do you measure with a spark plug in etc??
    Also, can I use a oem head gasket on a o ringed head to decrease the compression/increase the head volume?
    No.
    The o-ring groove on most heads is right in the area of the ridge on the head gasket that compresses to seal the head. Line up you o-ring head with a head gasket and see.

I have a small square piece of 1/4"plegiglass with a 1/2" hole drilled in the middle that seals to the head with a little Vaseline around the edge. You should be able to get a small piece of plexiglass you can drill and trim to size at a glass place or home depot.

Go to the Wallgreens or Eckerd drug and get a large syringe measured in cc (without needles) to use for filling the head chamber. They might have different types of syringe like devices for different medical uses that you might find more suited. I use a large syringe with no needle. You can color the water with food coloring or just use regular water and fill it up to the top of the center hole taking note of how much you used to fill it up. Make sure to install spark plug and not leave any air bubbles trapped in there.

This set up cost me under $10

This has always worked accurately for me.

allcool
    Last edited by allcool; 09-27-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allcool
    No.
    The o-ring groove on most heads is right in the area of the ridge on the head gasket that compresses to seal the head. Line up you o-ring head with a head gasket and see.

I have a small square piece of 1/4"plegiglass with a 1/2" hole drilled in the middle that seals to the head with a little Vaseline around the edge. You should be able to get a small piece of plexiglass you can drill and trim to size at a glass place or home depot.

Go to the Wallgreens or Eckerd drug and get a large syringe measured in cc (without needles) to use for filling the head chamber. They might have different types of syringe like devices for different medical uses that you might find more suited. I use a large syringe with no needle. You can color the water with food coloring or just use regular water and fill it up to the top of the center hole taking note of how much you used to fill it up. Make sure to install spark plug and not leave any air bubbles trapped in there.

allcool
    as always,,,allcool is right on....i have used the same setup in the past on heads. the only difference is i used an OLD graduated cylinder from high school science class. lol

nice post!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by allcool
    No.

allcool
    Perfect ! Thanks for sharing !

I am going to copy this thread in the How-To section for future reference.

+1

Thumbs up

Thanks very much everybody.
    Especially Allcool for that great idea.I was doing something similar without the plexiglass, and was struggling to get consistant readings.
    SOOO simple when you know!

Thread Information