Lost a screw on my ride plate

Hey guys. Apparently I lost one of the screws on my ride plate over the weekend. I could have sworn I checked them all to make sure they were tight.

Does anyone have one that they can sell me. I need the one that inserts through the ride plate into the scoop right behind the grate.

I am going to take the whole thing down, clean it and seal it and put it back up there myself. I will use lock-tight on all the screws. I should have listened to you guys. I just took down the grate and checked the impeller clearance and took it for granted that someone else did the right thing.

It ran good, so I don't think I got any air in there when the screw came lose but it is my own fault. I saw a new shaft and impeller in there and assumed all was well I guess. I was sure I checked those screws for tightness.

Anyway. If anybody has a screw please PM me and I will pay for the screw and shipping. # 12 is the one I lost. #12 and #13 should be the same.

Thanks Dudes.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It's an oval head SS 1/4-20 screw. Any good hardware store will have 1. (Sears Hardware, Ace, mom and pop place, etc..) It's about 3/4" long. And always use blue Loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    It's an oval head SS 1/4-20 screw. Any good hardware store will have 1. (Sears Hardware, Ace, mom and pop place, etc..) It's about 3/4" long. And always use blue Loctite.
    I was worried about the length. I couldn't find anything that had the specs on it even on the site that sells them.

Thanks xlint. I will head over to Homedepot and get one. I will just take one out and take it with me. I think I have a head injury these days.

I am going to take the whole thing down and do it over myself like I said earlier. Whoever changed the shaft, pump, and impeller used an orange colored sealant around there. I have never seen it before. I was going to use 3M 4200 unless you guys recommend something else that would be better.

+1
    Sorry, upon further reading, you need 1 of the 2 small ones that bolts the plate to the shoe?

Those are only 1/2" long. I doubt the Depot will have 1 that small. (a REAL hardware store would) But, you can always cut it down by running a nut on the screw the proper length, then taking a hack saw to it. When you remove the nut, it willl clean the threads and prevent ruining the insert threads.

i think ace and roaches only have stainless up to M6-M8

but they have tons of sae stuff in s/s

Freaking Home Depot didn't even have it in stainless steel at 3/4" only aluminum.

The nearest Ace Hardware is a bit of a ride but I guess I will be taking it because there are no mom and pop place left around here. There is a plumbing supply though. It is on the way. I will see if they have one. I could see a 1/4 20 ss being used on a clamp.

I will take the other one with me.

+1
    What about a Sears Hardware? Any of those near you?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    What about a Sears Hardware? Any of those near you?
    There is a Sears in the mall about 5 miles away. I had a bunch of stainless crown screws in my workshop. I found one with a Standard head as opposed to a Phillips but it did the trick.

It rained here all day and I have to work outside so I will throw it all back up there tomorrow.

There is a nice 780 hood on E-Bay right now that I want to grab for $100.00 but if I sink much more into this right now my wife is going to start ...........

I have been trying to mix paint to touch up the nics on the hood but I just can't get that grape color close enough.

Thread Information