Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

96 GSX losing power

Put it in the water, rode about 2 hours a day for three days, on the third day it doesnt have all the power. It will still rev up like normal, but doesnt have the acceleration or the top speed. I was just riding it and it started to act like this, it doesnt sound like a fuel issue, but could it be? I know the motor has been to group K, but it looks like there might be gray gas lines in there still.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    Beaumont, Texas
    your wear ring could be eaten up, if the rpms are the same then you are cavitating

will i be able to look at it and know? It doesnt seem have any cavitation, when you punch it the power isnt there, it doesnt bog down at all either.

The rpms would be higher and the mph lower with a worn wear ring. The grey fuel lines are just waiting to destroy your engine by causing a lean seizure. You need to get them out, clean the internal filters on the carbs, and clean the fuel selector.

Forgot to mention that when its out of water on the lift idle is only at 1400 anthe motor kinda clunks if u give it sudden gas. I'm not thinkin its the wear ring, but bought it anyways for PM

I've just replaced my fuel lines with some from NAPA and I needed about 20' and had plenty left over.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    Beaumont, Texas
    if you replaced your fuel lines but did not rebuilt and clean the carbs this could be your problem. also did you clean/check your fuel selector switch? carb filters could be gunked up and same with the fuel selector

alright, i will replace the fuel lines this weekend as well as clean the carb fuel filters and selector switch, hopfully that fixes the problem.

Minnetonka, MN
    what ultramax said is absolutely mandatory; just changing the lines s not good enough. Bet you find your mag carb's filter 3/4 full of junk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information