skat magnum pump fault ???

recently ordered a 160 mm 12 vein setback pump/prop set up form skat and as installation was complete and test i went down from around 8300-8450 rpms to 7800-7900???

recently took out the pump and bearings in the pump were total destored
    later found out by take the shaft out of the pump that the seals were in backwards

this pump was sent straight from skat...

has anyone else ever seen this problem?

I had a 12 vane Skat pump several years ago, seadoo version.. Had nothing but trouble with it. Broken shafts, stripped impeller splines, multiple bearing failures, finally had to convert the sealed bearing non lubed bearing cavity setup they used to a fully lubed setup the way OEM pumps are.

ye you can ask DP. he is my machanice and when he pulled the pump out he was like wtf!!! lmao never saw something like that before but the wizard as always found a way to fix it and ready to go again

+1
    I have the Skat mod to my OEM pump. I have the 12 vanes, 160mm, 12/20, with one of three shims in the adjustable tailcone and no setback. Mine did not come assembled. My pump is running fine. Do you have pics?

+1
    Buy new bearings from your local bearing shop. Get the high tolerance ones (C type). Very cheap.
    Buy the rear bearing seal from same bearing shop. Still very cheap.
    Buy front bearing seal from your friend and mine Mr. GH. (Not as cheap but better than your local oem dealer. $42 usd + postage from GH or $149AUD and wait 4 weeks delivery as their never in stock).
    Buy new gold spacer washer from the guy above. Better materials than the silver one.
    Freeze bearings and shaft for a day in the family fridge before fitting. Pressing on bearings makes the bearing races stuff up.
    Check depth the front bearing is down in it's hole. See SHO manual.
    Fill with transmission fluid and or grease or mixture.
    Check hub every 3rd ride for water until your sure all is okay.
    If it's a really shitty job take your original oem shaft down to your local machinist and have it made to copy the one you have. It'll probably be wobbly if put in the centres on a lathe. Especially if it's a setback.
    Have fun putting it all together.

Otherwise no problems............

I'd bitch about them but I don't want to negative.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Buy new bearings from your local bearing shop. Get the high tolerance ones (C type). Very cheap.
    Buy the rear bearing seal from same bearing shop. Still very cheap.
    Buy front bearing seal from your friend and mine Mr. GH. (Not as cheap but better than your local oem dealer. $42 usd + postage from GH or $149AUD and wait 4 weeks delivery as their never in stock).
    Buy new gold spacer washer from the guy above. Better materials than the silver one.
    Freeze bearings and shaft for a day in the family fridge before fitting. Pressing on bearings makes the bearing races stuff up.
    Check depth the front bearing is down in it's hole. See SHO manual.
    Fill with transmission fluid and or grease or mixture.
    Check hub every 3rd ride for water until your sure all is okay.
    If it's a really shitty job take your original oem shaft down to your local machinist and have it made to copy the one you have. It'll probably be wobbly if put in the centres on a lathe. Especially if it's a setback.
    Have fun putting it all together.

Otherwise no problems............

I'd bitch about them but I don't want to negative.
    Sounds like you've done this one before. The freezer and heat gun is your friend with this job.

Only thing I would say to do different is to go with the OEM recommended lube (I couldn't find it anywhere so talked to Jerry and he added it to the store--buy two containers as the shipping is spendy but the grease seems great). I like Amsoil and talked to their tech support regarding mixing grease and oil. I know a lot of peeps have done this in the past but Amsoil said grease and oil have incompatible properties.

Like I said, I went with the OEM grease and just pulled the tail cone tonight after riding a lot at Mudbug and all was good. That's after a pump rebuild before Mudbug (seals and front bearing--reused rear bearing but manual says not to do this). I also upgraded to the gold spacer.

Oh, and I torque the prop tight when installing and it comes right off with my eight foot cheater pipe (thanks Duke ).

Quote Originally Posted by high output View Post
    recently ordered a 160 mm 12 vein setback pump/prop set up form skat and as installation was complete and test i went down from around 8300-8450 rpms to 7800-7900???

recently took out the pump and bearings in the pump were total destored
    later found out by take the shaft out of the pump that the seals were in backwards

this pump was sent straight from skat...

has anyone else ever seen this problem?

Seen several from Skat like this. Mostly 155mm. I also think the bearings they use are pretty cheap.

I always order bearings and press them in myself. Too many problems and you never know what bearings you will get but the price is always there(paying way too much).

Thread Information