Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Engine removal prep!!

Hey guys I need to remove my engine in 2007 ultra 250x. I have ordered the service manual. I now want to order all the seals, gaskets and consumables need for this effort. Long story short my local kawasaki dealer said they could not get the oil filter off for the second time and want to remove it using a screwdriver. I can't believe this is the only way!! The last time I spent 3 days cleaning up the mess they left in the hull. I have 150 hours on the ski and want to do some other periodic maintance so I figure I just remove the engine and do it all at once. Any help on the list of parts needed would be great. Here is a list of maintance I plan on performing. Any other suggestion would be great.

1 service supercharger and replace belt
    2 clean intercooler
    3 replace spark plugs
    4 clean and preserve engine with fluid film
    5 I just did jet pump shaft mod and bearing replacement

If you hit the "Greenhulk OE replacemant parts store" link up top of this page, find "kawasaki pwc", punch in ski year and model and drop thru the pages. Gives you breakdowns, part numbers and pricing. Good luck.

+1
    the kawi filter removal tool and a socket wrench will work every time tell your dealer to get the correct kawi tools instead of being a tool

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by winnsboro_ultra250X View Post
    Hey guys I need to remove my engine in 2007 ultra 250x. I have ordered the service manual. I now want to order all the seals, gaskets and consumables need for this effort. Long story short my local kawasaki dealer said they could not get the oil filter off for the second time and want to remove it using a screwdriver. I can't believe this is the only way!! The last time I spent 3 days cleaning up the mess they left in the hull. I have 150 hours on the ski and want to do some other periodic maintance so I figure I just remove the engine and do it all at once. Any help on the list of parts needed would be great. Here is a list of maintance I plan on performing. Any other suggestion would be great.

1 service supercharger and replace belt
    2 clean intercooler
    3 replace spark plugs
    4 clean and preserve engine with fluid film
    5 I just did jet pump shaft mod and bearing replacement
    Why pull the enngine out..........
    beside sliding it forward to replace belt , the engine stays in place for the work on your list .....

just remove the inlet manifold to give you FULL access to the filter if you have a problem with the filter, and use a steel band style of filter clamp!!
    tell the gorilla that puts the filter on next time to lube the Oring on the filter and dont swing off it when doing it up.

I have see this from monkeys in the Auto sector for the last 25+ years
    they dont need to be screwed on to the point of lock up

No way would you need to pull the engine that just crazy talk

Waz

+1
    If you must pull the engine out and we can't persuade otherwise, be careful to mark the position of the engine mounts to there bolts, and while its out maybe capitalise by adding a spare belt holder and belt. Use protective tape around the top deck, cause it is a bit fiddly first time round. Advice would be to only take it out when you really have to!

+1
    if the engine is moved ever, check your drive shaft alignment these cheap korean engine mounts have a habbit of settling, pull the pump and real align the engine, may require swapping shimms around but you will benefit long time GI.

Quote Originally Posted by JET250 View Post
    if the engine is moved ever, check your drive shaft alignment these cheap korean engine mounts have a habbit of settling, pull the pump and real align the engine, may require swapping shimms around but you will benefit long time GI.
    hmm, never thought of this. Doesnt the rubber coupler take up the slack? So you have to align the pump to the motor I guess?

+1
    nope pull the pump out and make sure your drive shaft is centered in the tunnel, I did two pumps because of this, then stopped taking it to the dealer, have never looked back. Imagine at 8000rpm if your pump bearing is being pushed to one side. Shims a cheap, takes about two hours to muck about and align it good.

Quote Originally Posted by JET250 View Post
    nope pull the pump out and make sure your drive shaft is centered in the tunnel, I did two pumps because of this, then stopped taking it to the dealer, have never looked back. Imagine at 8000rpm if your pump bearing is being pushed to one side. Shims a cheap, takes about two hours to muck about and align it good.
    Hey Jet, might be a dumb question but why you gotta pull the pump? Wont the pump hold the shaft in the centre anyways?

+1
    The pump will centre the shaft but if your engine is out alignment or the mounts have shrunk or settled you will be pushing on the bearings in the pump, have seen the drive shaft off centre by as much as 10mm but I do a lot of surf riding so the engine mounts get a hard time. If you are loading the bearings to one side or the bottom or top of the pump this will wear them out pretty damn quick @ 8000 rpm. The movement in the coupler and thru hull allow quite a lot of range in the drive shaft. see pic below of a centred drive shaft and you will get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB280148.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	193381  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information