What to look for... Noob Question

I am new here so if this question has been asked before (which I'm sure it has I just couldn't find it when I searched) please forgive me. I am new to the sport and I am going to look at a 2005 RXT later today. I am not sure what I should be looking for though in terms of how good of shape its in. The owner said he babied it, but for someone asking $7,500 for a ski of course they are going to say that. Can someone please give me a few pointers on what I should look out for.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Josh

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshb View Post
    I am new here so if this question has been asked before (which I'm sure it has I just couldn't find it when I searched) please forgive me. I am new to the sport and I am going to look at a 2005 RXT later today. I am not sure what I should be looking for though in terms of how good of shape its in. The owner said he babied it, but for someone asking $7,500 for a ski of course they are going to say that. Can someone please give me a few pointers on what I should look out for.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Josh
    According to NADA:
    Low Retail Average Retail
    Base Price
    $4,200 $4,740
    TOTAL PRICE $4,200 $4,740

The above prices do not include cost of trailer, or any other add-ons or mods... That better be some cherry RXT w/little or no miles for that price. Other than this, the first thing you want to verify is that the SC has had the ceramic washers changed to metal or that the SC was recently totally rebuilt including new metal washers and bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    According to NADA:
    Low Retail Average Retail
    Base Price
    $4,200 $4,740
    TOTAL PRICE $4,200 $4,740

The above prices do not include cost of trailer, or any other add-ons or mods... That better be some cherry RXT w/little or no miles for that price. Other than this, the first thing you want to verify is that the SC has had the ceramic washers changed to metal or that the SC was recently totally rebuilt including new metal washers and bearings.
    Gator, thanks for the reply. The Cost includes a trailer, tube, ski rope and 6 life vests. I too think it is way too high in price (Hours are at 55) and I let him know that, and he said he is willing to accept lower offers. Also, I was thinking about the washers issue, but Ido'nt know where to look for those, are there pictures somewhere on this site that show where to find them on the ski?

Verify the ceramic were replaced by receipt only otherwise they are lying. I would ask it like this "I've heard that the Superchargers have some kind of issues in these ski's, are you familiar with that?" If the guy says yes and thay have been replaced then he should have a receipt for the work that was done. If he says that he did the work himself he's lying, if he says that the he thinks it was fixed...he's lying. Ask him the last time it was in the shop, then ask what for. Ask him who maintains the oil changes and annual work. Open the seat compartment and take a good sniff - if it smells like gas and oil look further by getting a clean white rag and put it under the motor inside the hull. If you pull it out and there is no oil or antifreeze that's a good sign. Get under the ski a look closely at the black gelcoat, if you see any deep hits down to the fiberglass (light tan color) that will be dollars to fix. $7,500 is way too much for an 05 anyway! Good luck!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshb View Post
    Also, I was thinking about the washers issue, but Ido'nt know where to look for those, are there pictures somewhere on this site that show where to find them on the ski?
    They are inside the motor when the SC is installed. No way to see them without removing the SC.

+1
    Unless he's willing to take at least $2,000 off, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Thanks for the help! Even if I don't get this ski I at least know what to look for on the next one.

By the way I am looking for an RXT if anyone knows someone who is selling in the Central Florida area

+1
    Check skis 4 sale there is 1 4 sale i think hes asking 5400 obo

You always have to worry about buying a used jetski esp. the ones with the ceramic washers. I would look into a warranty if possible. Check out some local dealers, they usually offer warranties. GL!

Thanks Dman. I'm currently looking at new just last year models. Trying to get a good deal.

Thread Information