2000 900STX ignition problems

Hers the poop. Ran great last time out(almost a year ago) It's been started & run for 20-30 seconds every 2-3 weeks during the off season. I did notice that when started it didn't want to transition from idle to higher RPMs without stumbling or maintain RPMs smoothly. I thought it was due to not being run (carb problems) Anyways i took it out last weekend & it would'nt go more than 35ish without bogging & missing out when attempting to go faster. After about 2 hours it got worse, it would't go more than 25ish without missing badly(backfiring) & smoked alot. Plugs all looked oil fouled. So when i got it back home & changed them with no difference. Even cutting back the wire tips didn't help. I checked the electrical box & it was all gunked up with water & white crusty poop. I cleaned all this up & made sure all the connections were fine. All to no avail. I still get the missing out with LOUD exhaust backfiring. Hardly no backfiring thru the carbs thou. This apparently is getting worse as time goes on. I'm going to check compression this weekend. I may even pull the stator to seeing if i have water damage there. What other things may be causing this? It's getting plenty of fuel, i'm thinking it's all a ignition related. Could it be my igniter box? Any suggestions will be a BIG help

Check compression ......105 across all three cylinders. I read on a seadoo forum that this may be cause by a bad regulator/rectifier. It will send the correct pulse signals to the igniter box fine at idle but when you rev it up it floods the iginter with too may pulses & the iginter box goes crazy trying to read the pulses & poops out. Anybody have any other suggestions or insight to the problem??? thanks

wow...Nobody on this forum has a suggestion either.

I think i found it, still have to take it out & try it out. Thanks for all the replys!

What did you find wrong with it? I've got a '99STX I've had for a week and it's always good to read other people's problems in case I have the same one. I can't find anyone who has any mods for 900STXs, everything is for another ski type. I can't even make an extended nozzle because my nozzle is designed for reverse !

Yup.... voltagle regulator/rectifier...runnin good now

Thread Information