Thread: 96 GTX bogging

Banned User

96 GTX bogging

Hey guys I just started working on a 96 GTX 800 I have the carbs cleaned out and new plugs, ski will run good for about 5 mins then starts to bog and feel like it has no power, I have plenty of fuel so its not a clog or something, any help would be great, fires up no issue just after a few mins its looses about 400 rpm then starts to fall on its face and u have to play with the throttle and still doesnt want to run.

Did you clean your fuel selector switch too with the carbs and replace the fuel lines after you cleaned the carbs? If not they are probably already gummed up again from the grey fuel lines. Also check the voltage your battery is pulling at 5000 rpms. If its over 12.7ish then your rectifier is bad.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    unplug the red wire in the gray box. if it runs better its a bad rectifier

Banned User
    Ok how do u test the voltage, just put a multimeter on the battery and rev the ski up to 5k on the hose or is there another trick?, Also what red wire? which gray box?? I am not a big 2smoke guy, only really did 951s.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Yes, mulit meter the battery will work. There is a gray box that the plug on the front of the mag housing connects to. its where all the wires go...simply put. inside there there is a red wire that runs out to the charging system...be careful when your on the water cause the battery is not charging. if this solves the problem replace the rectifier

Banned User
    ok, now i also just found out from the owner that the battery was not charged while it was out it got jumped from a jump box and then road, now if the battery has a bad cell or is shot or not charged will this also cause this problem?

I am not sure if it would or not. Your best bet would be to use a multimeter and read the voltage. If its around 12 at idle, and around 12.3 to 12.8 at 5000 rpms (hook it up to a hose) then your fine. Mine was hitting around 17 at 5000rpm and ended up being a bad rectifier causing all of my trouble. If yours is high at 5000, unplug the red wire in the grey box as airborne said and try it again and see if its normal. Its a quick 2 min test that may save a lot of headache.

Thread Information