EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Problem w/ SC Belt Hydroplaning on Pulley

Has anyone had the problem with a little water being in the hull.... you nail the gas wide open, you get a few ounces of water from under the gas tank or something shoot to the rear of the hull under the engine, and hit the hump right under the coupler, shoot up, then the coupler shoots the stream of water directly between the belt and pulley causing it to slip...

any suggestions?

07 Ultra 250.... runs fine if i feather it and bring it up on plane slowly so that the little bit of water doesnt shoot up into the coupler. believe me... it's a small amount of water. as much as the drain plugs will let me drain out of it on the trailer....

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    Has anyone had the problem with a little water being in the hull.... you nail the gas wide open, you get a few ounces of water from under the gas tank or something shoot to the rear of the hull under the engine, and hit the hump right under the coupler, shoot up, then the coupler shoots the stream of water directly between the belt and pulley causing it to slip...

any suggestions?

07 Ultra 250.... runs fine if i feather it and bring it up on plane slowly so that the little bit of water doesnt shoot up into the coupler. believe me... it's a small amount of water. as much as the drain plugs will let me drain out of it on the trailer....
    shibby,

have you checked to see if it was the thru hull it self leaking?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    shibby,

have you checked to see if it was the thru hull it self leaking?
    there is no leak... the ski does not take on water.

i can shop vac the water out of the hull and fix the problem...

or i can pour 2 pints of water in the hull and bring the problem back

and then i can suck it back out and fix it again...

im asking bc there's gotta be some skis out there with a half gallon of residual water always sitting in the hull that cant be removed via drain plugs... and the way the fiberglass mold of the hull is just beneath the coupler, any water that is under the motor will always hit the hump first and shoot up into the driveshaft coupler which then spits the few ounces to the port side of the ski right into the sc belt and pulley.

i ride the ski with no seats and no rear black cowling piece... and i watch the whole thing happen clearly.... there's no water leaks, just residual water causes this problem.

I am shure you checked but... have you checked the belt tension with the tool? Mine was slipping a bit for a while before I adjusted the belt. Got the tool, adjusted belt properly and no problem with it. I really dont think it should slip with just a little bit of water if the tension is correct.
    Mine has had a bit of water in there after cleaning because my trailer is low and does not let it lift very high, but never slipped when tension was correct. Another thought, maybe belt is worn?

+1
    zero water in my hull unless big surf. undo the drain plugs, put the ski trailers dolly wheel on a chair, wind the dolly wheel all the way up. ski should be at or about 45 deg, leave the seats off for a few days should get all the water out.

Proper belt tension will tolerate a bit of water without slippage.

Do you guys bother putting the pulley cover back on or do you just leave it off?

+1
    leave it off.

Thread Information