+1

octane boosters and fuel supplements

Ive always understood that using 93 octane would prevent deto/pinging that if your ski runs fine no need for any additives,unless the need for expensive race fuel.With engine mods of 150psi head compression and advance timing(next yrs mod),is all the ones(boosters) out there just junk.The 4 stroke SDs seem to love this BND product ACES IV, they make a supplement for 2 strokes, whats everyones insight on boosters,most hate it , some swear by it

+1
    Dave, your setup is a 93 octane setup. I can think of no reason any gas mixed with "booster" would be better than straight 93 directly from the pump.
    Personally, I've never been fond of additional fuel additives to increase octane, especially in a 2-stroke. I would consider it an emergency type thing only. But that's just me....

+1

boost

thanks Doug,i think so too,there's always a "new" product which catches your "go fast'' research.But with advance timing would i need some higher octane race fuel like Sunoco GTX 260 98oct. at least a portion?

Most GPRS are running 155 psi heads and a 3 degree keyway with no issues with 93.

+1
    I can think of one ski that was running 4* and 160+psi and cheater ported on 93 with no issues at all due to octane.... I think your safe at 150 and 3* on 93 easily and could probably drop in 92 if needed. Make sure your delivering the ski plenty of fuel and stick with 93 and your good to go. Race fuel for your setup would be nothing more than a waste of money IMHO.......It does smell good though!

+1
    Oh, there are several 150psi 3* 1300's running around these parts, several with quite a few hours too, all 93 octane boats.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Dave, your setup is a 93 octane setup. I can think of no reason any gas mixed with "booster" would be better than straight 93 directly from the pump.
    Personally, I've never been fond of additional fuel additives to increase octane, especially in a 2-stroke. I would consider it an emergency type thing only. But that's just me....
    +1

I raced cars for years & when I advanced the timing I tried serveral 'octane boosters' & never had any of them help with detonation. I would use 103 race fuel. Also, I new someone that worked for one of the big three, and anually he would have to take gas samples from local gas stations for octane testing. What they found is 87 was really close to 87, 89 was also really close to 87 (slightly higher) and 93 was closer to 89-90 octane on average. The explination was that the higher priced fuels sat in the ground tanks at the stations longer & lost some of their original octane (could also be caused by water leaks or a crooked station owner). At the end of the day you shouldn't use more octane than your ski (or car) needs. Running closer to lean = more power.

boost

I myself only run 89 Octane in my 01 GP1200R, I have one friend who runs 93 in his GP1300 and uses some sort of octane booster, he says it runs better with it, yet my ski blows him out of the water

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter Gp1200R View Post
    I myself only run 89 Octane in my 01 GP1200R, I have one friend who runs 93 in his GP1300 and uses some sort of octane booster, he says it runs better with it, yet my ski blows him out of the water
    your leaving a lot of info out to make that believable...
    how are the ski`s set up? for one...

+1

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Oh, there are several 150psi 3* 1300's running around these parts, several with quite a few hours too, all 93 octane boats.
    Doug, you mean down in the Jersey French Rivera(Barnegat bay)

Thread Information