Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New RXT-X Owner

New RXT-X Owner

(well almost)

Picking it up on Friday after work...I'm freakin pumped. Friday is gonna be a LOOOOONG day at work for sure.

Hahaha! Congrats man!

I remember the day I ordered my RXT IS 255 and it took about 2 days for them to move it from the show room and into the shop and get it ready and get the paperwork done and all that stuff... I was watching YouTube videos non-stop of the machine in action and couldn't stop drooling. The salesman was super-helpful and gave me a good contact to get it insured and answered all my questions when I called him. He also kept me informed during those two days the machine was being prepped and then, finally "Okay, well your machine is now ready for pick up!" My heart was racing when I heard those words. LOL!

I took the time to insure the machine in the meanwhile and also found some really nice life jackets to match the machine (bought 2 of them), got a nice Sea-Doo cover for it and some gel-coated tie-downs for the rear of the machine/trailer (gel-coated so that the straps wouldn't rub the Sea-Doo). I made sure that everything was completely prepped for my first day with my new toy!

Read up some stuff about your machine here on GreenHulk and post any questions you may have about it. Friday is a LOOOOONG way off. Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchTTU View Post
    (well almost)

Picking it up on Friday after work...I'm freakin pumped. Friday is gonna be a LOOOOONG day at work for sure.
    I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. I picked mine up last Saturday. I only had it on the water for about 1/2 hour, but the handling and ride are amazing compared to my older 2004 SC. A few annoyances with the iControl system, but aside from that it is a huge step up.

Any questions, just ask here.

Quote Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
    I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. I picked mine up last Saturday. I only had it on the water for about 1/2 hour, but the handling and ride are amazing compared to my older 2004 SC. A few annoyances with the iControl system, but aside from that it is a huge step up.

Any questions, just ask here.
    Cool...thanks for the replies. Which tie-downs should I get for it? Still need to get some life jackets too. What do I need to have on board to be legal in case I get stopped by the water cops?

I'm getting the insurance through the agent at the dealer, too. Only about $250 for the year!

Quote Originally Posted by StretchTTU View Post
    Cool...thanks for the replies. Which tie-downs should I get for it? Still need to get some life jackets too. What do I need to have on board to be legal in case I get stopped by the water cops?

I'm getting the insurance through the agent at the dealer, too. Only about $250 for the year!
    Well, I can't help you with that, since we're in completely different areas. The local cops require you to be wearing life jackets and you have to have a 50ft. tow rope, a whistle and a flashlight or emergency flairs. Some places (US and Canada) may require an on-board fire extinguisher and foldable paddles, but not here in Ontario.

I use the Transom Trapper II tie-downs (see picture below). These are for smaller boats and they have a protective material to protect your gel-coat like I said before. Also, you tighten them by hand only and they have NO RATCHET. After reading a little bit on the forums, I've found that if you over-tighten ratchets and go over bumps and have them tug on your rear hooks, that cracks can form around the hooks in the hull. So I avoided ratchets all together, personally.

$250 is nice and cheap! I'm paying almost twice that, but I got the "works", which includes insurance if the PWC falls off the trailer while in tow and also if I ingest anything into the intake grate and it damages the impeller and jet. I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea, considering that this is my very first PWC ever. I can always change my policy if I want to save a bit of money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product_00000291_thumb.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	192784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXTIS_tie_down.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	192797  

Great info, thanks. Is that the Sea Doo brand cover you have?

OK, don't laugh, but I don't use tie downs, although I probably should. I only trailer twice a year (once out to the lake for the season and once back for winter storage). Maybe I'll buy a set - no point in pushing my good luck! I agree that over tightening should be avoided.

As for insurance, I'm in western Canada and insurance can be expensive. I've been quoted $450 for a comprehensive policy, but no theft coverage unless stolen from a secured marina and was locked down. Another homeowner policy coverage was $1,100.00 but didn't ask any questions and are easy to deal with.

I ended up with a "floater" on my current homeowner's policy that has full coverage, including theft. It is about $450/year but I have a good thing going with my insurance broker. My house policy expires in September (about the same time the riding season up here expires) and I don't renew my Sea Doo coverage when I renew my house policy. In June, I call my broker and ask him to add the Sea Doo to my home owners policy and send me a bill. He does and I pay the pro rated portion of the total policy cost, which works out to be about $120.00 for 4 months. I've been doing it for 7 years.

As for equipment, the rules are the same across the country and set by Transport Canada. I believe they are the same in the USA:

Lifejacket for each person onboard;
    Paddle or Anchor (unless everyone is wearing a lifejacket);
    15M (50') floating heaving line;
    Fire Extinguisher (unless everyone is wearing a lifejacket);
    Re boarding device (unless everyone is wearing a lifejacket);
    One bailer (unless everyone is wearing a lifejacket);
    Flashlight (waterproof) or 3 flares - flares not required on inland lakes or within 1 mile of shore;
    Sounding Device;
    Navigation lights if operating after dusk;
    Magnetic Compass (if operating outside of navigation buoys;

A couple of things you'll need practice with:

1. Starting the PWC - Some people have reported difficulty starting the X and the iS. The procedure is different than earlier models (pre iControl). You must first push the start/stop button to wake up the electronics and then quickly push the key firmly onto the post. You should hear two beeps. If you don't you have to remove the key and start again. With a bit of practice, I've had no difficulty. You don't have to start the engine right away, but if you do and then shut it off, you must remove the key and repeat the process;

2. Neutral - on older models, you could get an almost perfect neutral by adjusting the position of the F-N-R lever with your left hand. On the X, iControl does this for you. Mine does not seem to stay in perfect neutral and the N position produces a bit of backward "way". This can make things difficult if you are trying to drift towards a landing at a reduced speed. I guess I'll practice.

3. Throttle (Touring/Sport) - I find the touring mode - well, "touring" and a bit lazy. I tried the sport model and I can tell you that it is razor sharp in response - almost too much so. I'm not sure how easy it will be to modulate it in rough water, but I guess practice time will tell. At least we have 2 modes to play with.

Overall, I'm really happy with mine. I think it looks hot, it handles like it is on rails and although I didn't ride in rough water last weekend, the chop I did ride in was smoothed out much better than on my 2004 model and it was drier too.

Any questions, just post them.

grover

PS The brake is really cool too.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Long day on Friday hell! Long 2 days!
    Good for you man....
    To be legal here in Te'haus you need on board is life jacket,your registration card,fire extinguisher and a noise making devise(whistle).Also here in Texas if you let ANYONE operate ur ski ... you need to know that YOU are responsible for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that involves your ski when operated by ANYONE.So if they run someone over? TPWD is coming to YOU
    Also if you want to enjoy it for awhile dont let your compadres ride it

+1
    Congrats, sweet ski.

Some great advice on here.

grove, towing without rear straps... YIKES! I hope nothing ever happens. You've been quite lucky so far, but all it takes is ONE TIME, and then your luck will change. I bought those straps for $25 for a pair, and I think that spending $25 to protect a $15k+ toy is well worth it in my opinion.

Good advice on the practicing too. Launch it, hit the START/STOP button to wake up the electronics, put the key on the post and hit the button again to fire it up. It'll start in neutral so don't worry... Hold down your left IBR, give it a little gas with the right lever and back out of the dock... Let go of the IBR, tap the gas and you're in neutral... Turn the handlebar and point the machine in the direction where you want to go... Pull the throttle lever slowly, and off you go! I love practicing and playing around with the iControl, even when I don't need to. Its just that much fun!

Oh, and one more thing. Don't gun it full throttle unless you're in at LEAST 3 feet of water. These machines are damn powerful and will suck up rocks and sand off the bottom up to 3' ... Another thing I'll suggest is NOT to beach it. I don't know why people do this, knowing their gel coat is going to the dogs every time.

Break it in slowly. Vary your speeds and RPM's. You can give it full throttle, but only for a few seconds at a time, every once in awhile. Let the engine components settle in for the first 10 hours. Relax, enjoy it.

Here's a picture of the cover on, as I'm towing it with my ATV in the backyard. Yes, that is the original Sea-Doo cover for the 2009 RXT IS. It fits VERY snug, has clips to hold it down if you want to keep it covered while trailering it and it has a protective cotton layer on the inside to protect the shiny plastics on the Sea-Doo from being "sanded down" by the cover from the wind blowing against it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXT_cover.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	192860  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information