spark plug cleaning?

I have a few postings here and usually check in every day learning more about my 1st jet ski. recently we had the ski out and usually after we unload we had for the open lake but last time out the wife wanted to cruise over thru the marina and look at some of the boats and at idle speed no less. Well that extended idle time cost me one of my original set of plugs, when we hit the open water it was missing at low speed and we rode over to an island and I pulled the plugs and one was really wet/fouled so i had a spare set i had bought of the PMR's so I changed them all but only that rear cylinder was the bad one I am sure. I have since read here some use the iriduim's as well as the Cr9ex so I bought a set of each to try whenever time is needed to see if the less expensive plug works or not, some here stay with the PMR's and others have had sucess with the ones I just bought.

Here is my question, can the old plugs be cleaned using one of the pnuematic cleaners you can buy online? I used to clean and regap plugs in cars and they worked fine but has anyone here had any experience here? If the plug is not damaged internal, I would thing that should work. I had 35 hours on the factory plugs and they looked perfect other than that one being wet from all the idle time.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulldrawmike View Post
    I have a few postings here and usually check in every day learning more about my 1st jet ski. recently we had the ski out and usually after we unload we had for the open lake but last time out the wife wanted to cruise over thru the marina and look at some of the boats and at idle speed no less. Well that extended idle time cost me one of my original set of plugs, when we hit the open water it was missing at low speed and we rode over to an island and I pulled the plugs and one was really wet/fouled so i had a spare set i had bought of the PMR's so I changed them all but only that rear cylinder was the bad one I am sure. I have since read here some use the iriduim's as well as the Cr9ex so I bought a set of each to try whenever time is needed to see if the less expensive plug works or not, some here stay with the PMR's and others have had sucess with the ones I just bought.

Here is my question, can the old plugs be cleaned using one of the pnuematic cleaners you can buy online? I used to clean and regap plugs in cars and they worked fine but has anyone here had any experience here? If the plug is not damaged internal, I would thing that should work. I had 35 hours on the factory plugs and they looked perfect other than that one being wet from all the idle time.
    yes you can clean them

They comes in a box and looks exactly the same as your plugs u pulled out ...............
    and tey come from a autoparts store ( hint hint )
    but shinny and new looking

not worth cleaning plugs unless it for your lawn mower

+1
    imagine that a sc ultra with a 280hp briggs and stratton motor........

+1
    Why risk any doubt? If you gots the money put new ones in, new always deliver more consistent RPM for me. Others may disagree and I respect that. Maybe different conditions? I have changed mine reg. and have had no issues at all...Pulled out every ride and inspected....Aircraft maintenance. Same goes for my engine. Have replaced just about every part for the same reason. Money wasted? maybe? However, there is no laws broken by spending money. I need to have a reliable toy, cause it gets used regularily and don't want to get stuck 120km from ramp when the tidal movement is 5 mtrs and croc signs have been recently installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Aussie View Post
    Why risk any doubt? If you gots the money put new ones in, new always deliver more consistent RPM for me. Others may disagree and I respect that. Maybe different conditions? I have changed mine reg. and have had no issues at all...Pulled out every ride and inspected....Aircraft maintenance. Same goes for my engine. Have replaced just about every part for the same reason. Money wasted? maybe? However, there is no laws broken by spending money. I need to have a reliable toy, cause it gets used regularily and don't want to get stuck 120km from ramp when the tidal movement is 5 mtrs and croc signs have been recently installed.

Croc signs??

I agree not worth trying to clean. I believe you might scratch the coating anyways? Dont they have some kind of coating like some of the car plugs?

I thought it was the internal porcelain or whatever that was cracking. That cant be fixed...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulldrawmike View Post
    I bought a set of each to try whenever time is needed to see if the less expensive plug works or not, some here stay with the PMR's and others have had sucess with the ones I just bought.
    I would be interested to know what you think about the iridium plugs. It's been suggested to me to use that type also on my 08 STX-15F. Are they the same style plug tip as the stock plugs?

Thread Information