Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Video Questions Sea-Doo Brake's Effectiveness

This one is pretty interesting. An "independent consulting firm" has released a video questioning the effectiveness of Sea-Doo's braking system.

I think they make some valid points. Problem is, there are enough gray areas to also make me question the impartiality of the test.

See what you think...

Video Questions Effectiveness of Sea-Doo Braking System; Is It Truly Independent?

Ya im kinda in agreement with him on this one. When I first heard about the "brake" i thought to myself why not just turn lol

There is no question that a trained operator who understands it is "power on" to turn will have better success powering on and turning to avoid an obstruction in the water.

I just got my new RXT X with iControl and was impressed at how quickly it seems to haul the Sea Doo's speed down. But I think we have to be reasonable about the test. At 50 MPH, a Sea Doo is covering 73 ft/second. For a buoy placed 100' from the "take action spot", any hesitation puts you on top of the buoy, if you continue to travel in a straight line. The test doesn't point this out.

If you think about it, you cross the marker and then hesitate for 1/2 second, you are now only 27' away from the object in the water. Not even an anchor at that point is going to stop you. Brakes wouldn't stop a car or a motorcycle in that short distance (on land) either. At that point, an evasive maneuver is the only thing that will keep you off the object in the water.

In this regard, the test is a bit flawed. It fails to make the point that there is not enough reaction time + stopping distance in the test conditions to make this a fair representation of what the braking system adds to safety.

In the end, iBR is another "tool" in the safety toolbox. You now have 2 choices in a panic situation; The guy (or girl) who has the experience or nerves to hit the gas and turn will avoid the object in the water. The less experienced person (who wouldn't turn with power) has a chance of missing the object in the water and can certainly come to a stop if they see the object when they are 3 - 4 seconds away at 50 mph.

in any event, no safety is compromised by adding a brake system as long as people are made aware of the limitations. We have seen warnings in car manuals stating that while ABS (traction control, stability control, etc.) can increase safety, it can't overcome the laws of physics. In other words, don't drive your car at 50 mph towards a wall, wait too long and then expect the ABS system to save you from hitting the wall.

The 2010 RXT X manual says the following about iBrake:

"Limitations

Even when equipped with an iBR system,
    watercrafts do not have the ability
    of land based vehicles.
    Stopping distance will vary notably depending
    on initial speed, load, wind,
    current, water conditions and the
    amount of braking.
    The iBR system has no effect on the
    rearwardmotion.
    It cannot prevent your watercraft from
    drifting in current or wind."

grover

Obviously the Yamaha sponsored racer was feed the content. Smoke and mirrors, you can't really tell if he is pulling the brake at the poll from the angle filmed from. From my view anything that adds to safety is good, this is in addition to the other avoidance options, one more than anybody else has anyway.
    Last edited by King Neptune; 06-16-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: revise

Quote Originally Posted by King Neptune View Post
    Obviously the Yamaha sponsored rider was feed the content. The local shop goes jab for jab.

HAHAhA! That was awesome! I didn't get it for the first minute... Oh man, that's great!

Seriously though, grover pointed out somethings about the test...

Quote Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
    But I think we have to be reasonable about the test. At 50 MPH, a Sea Doo is covering 73 ft/second. For a buoy placed 100' from the "take action spot", any hesitation puts you on top of the buoy, if you continue to travel in a straight line. The test doesn't point this out.
    Yeah, no kidding. You're also riding a PWC, so its gelcoat-on-water, not fricken rubber-on-tar!! I think the brakes STILL stopp a LOT faster than any other PWC out there and they're just jealous they didn't think of it first.

I think that the purpose of this video is to warn new riders that the brakes on the Sea-Doo iS model does not function like an automobile which they are so used to! It won't stop on a dime, but it'll do a REALLY good job of slowing you down, and always scan around and be aware of your surroundings when you're out there, no matter the technology you have on your PWC.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    the only negative i found when using the brake is...

the time it takes to retract and give you your sterring back ...if you hit it to slow down then try and turn ..you cant because the computer wont give you power back until the brake is fully retracted....it needs to snap back...i forsee a evolution there...

but it is awsome for newbees and around the dock it is it makes things so easy ... everything has pros and cons..over all ..if i could just add that to my ski i would..

maybe some sort of rudder that comes down with the brake..and retracts with it as well...that way it would still trun even if you were under brakeing...

+1
    That stupid "brake test" video was posted here and discussed weeks ago.
    I think the guy was identified as a Yamaha racer and it's obvious he's not even applying the brakes until the last second, so it's all just B.S. The pro-Sea-Doo video is kinda dumb too. Jerry needs to bring back the Green Hulk Shootout so we can see some real world head-to-head comparisons on these new watercraft.

+1
    Better not follow a ski with brakes......and you know its gonna happen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Better not follow a ski with brakes......and you know its gonna happen.
    LOL!!! I can hear the phone call to the insurance company now...
    somebody just got rear-ended by a Yamaha!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    LOL!!! I can hear the phone call to the insurance company now...
    somebody just got rear-ended by a Yamalog!

Fixed it for ya......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information