Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

iControl Questions

I have a 2010 RXT X and have a few questions about the operation of iControl. If you have the same model or a 2009 iS (or Wake model with iControl), perhaps you can help.

1. Idle - Does your unit remain stationary at idle? Mine is moving backwards slowly, making it difficult to line up while drifting towards my floating dock. I'd prefer a slight forward motion in "N" if I have to have motion at all. Do you know if there is an adjustment for this?

2. Slow Speed Mode (a feature of Cruise Control). This feature was included as standard equipment on the 2009 iS (optional on the 2010). It is also on the Wake models with iControl, I believe. The slow speed mode allows you to set a speed of 1 - 5 mph while at idle. If you have this option, can you tell me how it works? Does it adjust the position of the gate to reduce rearward thrust or does it cycle between F and N alternately to maintain it's speed setting?

3. Sport/Touring Mode - I find touring a bit lazy and sport a bit too sharp. If I operate in touring, will I get full speed out of the unit or is it somehow limited in speed (in addition to responsiveness)?

If you have experience with these function, thanks in advance for your replies,

grover

1. same on my IS boat

2. You have to release the thottle lever to idle RPM. Pull in and release the iBR lever to enguage neutral. Press and hold the cruise bottom for 1 second. To deactivate it you just hit the throttle or pull in the iBR lever.

3. I have a 2009 that don't have this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River View Post
    1. same on my IS boat

2. You have to release the thottle lever to idle RPM. Pull in and release the iBR lever to enguage neutral. Press and hold the cruise bottom for 1 second. To deactivate it you just hit the throttle or pull in the iBR lever.

3. I have a 2009 that don't have this feature.

Hi Muddy,

I spoke to the dealer about the neutral movement and he is not aware of an adjustment. He is going to be in Sherbrooke, Quebec (BRP) next week for a week (I assume it is for the Ski Doo 2011 model preview) and he said he will talk to a BRP tech about it. I think the way the system is now it is a step back from the manual control system I had on my last Sea Doo (2004). I could park it in one spot while idling.

With respect to the slow speed cruise, I understand how to engage it, but once engaged, do you feel it shifting in and out of forward to reduce speed, or do you think the bucket adjusts slightly to maintain your speed?

I think I found the answer to #3 "touring mode" in the owners manual. It says after a time the Sea Doo will reach full speed as it does in the sport mode. I can't check out how long this takes until I break it in. It does feel lazier than my old Sea Doo diod, but it moves quite well - even in touring mode. 50 mp/h came up pretty quickly.

Thanks for your reply,

grover

1. At idle and in neutral, my machine is pretty much still. At idle and in Forward, the machine does about 3mph or so and I use that in NO WAKE zones (usually around marinas).

2. I don't really use SLOW SPEED mode. I just idle in Forward and cruise slowly as mentioned above. I should look into how to use that. Even though the machine reads and adjusts your various components at about 120 times/second (not just bucket but RPM, sensors, fuel and air intake, etc.), I'm quite sure that it does NOT alternate between Forward and Neutral. That would be a lot of work and wear on the components. I don't know for sure myself, but I'm sure the bucket comes down slightly to neutralize your thrust. In slow speed mode, it probably works like... Lower bucket, check speed, adjust bucket, check speed, etc. at 120 times/second. Makes sense, right? Not lower bucket, check speed, raise bucket, check speed, oops too fast, lower again, check speed, etc. LOL!

3. My 2009 RXT 255 iS does not have touring mode. Sorry, can't help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveKing View Post
    1. At idle and in neutral, my machine is pretty much still. At idle and in Forward, the machine does about 3mph or so and I use that in NO WAKE zones (usually around marinas).

2. I don't really use SLOW SPEED mode. I just idle in Forward and cruise slowly as mentioned above. I should look into how to use that. Even though the machine reads and adjusts your various components at about 120 times/second (not just bucket but RPM, sensors, fuel and air intake, etc.), I'm quite sure that it does NOT alternate between Forward and Neutral. That would be a lot of work and wear on the components. I don't know for sure myself, but I'm sure the bucket comes down slightly to neutralize your thrust. In slow speed mode, it probably works like... Lower bucket, check speed, adjust bucket, check speed, etc. at 120 times/second. Makes sense, right? Not lower bucket, check speed, raise bucket, check speed, oops too fast, lower again, check speed, etc. LOL!

3. My 2009 RXT 255 iS does not have touring mode. Sorry, can't help you there.
    Thanks for your post Wave.

If your Sea Doo sits stationary in neutral (doesn't try and walk backwards) then it must mean that there is an adjustment that can be done to mine to stop it from moving backward when at idle in neutral. The dealer wasn't sure about this but said he would be talking to a tech at BRP when he is in Sherbrooke, Quebec next week.

I'm going to check my forward idle speed, but I think it is more than 3 mph, as I leave a fair wake when I idle forward through the marina. To be fair my old Sea Doo did the same, but I learned to position the bucket to reduce forward speed in the marina.

As to the "slow mode" in the cruise control function, I'm sure you are right that the ECU adjusts the position of the bucket to limit forward thrust -rather than fully open and close it on a repeat basis to control forward speed. Do you mind trying it the next time you are riding.

I believe that the bucket position must be able to be set to reduce movement at idle in neutral and the same adjust ability is what makes the slow mode work.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to get an answer to this (if he remembers) when he is at BRP next week.

Quote Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
    Thanks for your post Wave.

If your Sea Doo sits stationary in neutral (doesn't try and walk backwards) then it must mean that there is an adjustment that can be done to mine to stop it from moving backward when at idle in neutral. The dealer wasn't sure about this but said he would be talking to a tech at BRP when he is in Sherbrooke, Quebec next week.

I'm going to check my forward idle speed, but I think it is more than 3 mph, as I leave a fair wake when I idle forward through the marina. To be fair my old Sea Doo did the same, but I learned to position the bucket to reduce forward speed in the marina.

As to the "slow mode" in the cruise control function, I'm sure you are right that the ECU adjusts the position of the bucket to limit forward thrust -rather than fully open and close it on a repeat basis to control forward speed. Do you mind trying it the next time you are riding.

I believe that the bucket position must be able to be set to reduce movement at idle in neutral and the same adjust ability is what makes the slow mode work.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to get an answer to this (if he remembers) when he is at BRP next week.
    Mine does 5 mph with current and 3 against(at idle). In my marina 5 mph creates too much wake for the local DNR so I adjust it to 1. In neutral it does adjust the brake bucket and pushes against it creating a very slow backward movement but not too much to create an issue for me. I think idle speed should be at 1mph in marina's.

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I creep back a little in neutral too.

And yes, you have to be in neutral to engage Slow Speed

Touring Mode should be called "Boobies on Board" Mode as that's the only time I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by UNSANE View Post
    I creep back a little in neutral too.

And yes, you have to be in neutral to engage Slow Speed

Touring Mode should be called "Boobies on Board" Mode as that's the only time I use it.
    It sounds like rearward creep is normal - but it is a pain in the ass if you want to drift forward in a straight line towards a drive up dock (used to be so easy with my last Sea Doo). I guess I'll have to practice a bit. Maybe if I idle forward for longre, then engage neutral, making sure I keep the steering bars perfectly straight - I can slow the drift forward while maintaining the straight direction to the drive up dock - then apply throttle to land it. I'm at the lake this weekend so I'll try it out.

As for the idle forward speed, I think I'll have the dealer add the cruise control so I can get the slow speed mode. It should have been included but, whatever. It will be useful for pulling a skier at a constant speed (now I'm looking at ways to justify spending $200).

It sounds like rearward creep is normal - but it is a pain in the ass if you want to drift forward in a straight line towards a drive up dock (used to be so easy with my last Sea Doo). I guess I'll have to practice a bit. Maybe if I idle forward for longre, then engage neutral, making sure I keep the steering bars perfectly straight - I can slow the drift forward while maintaining the straight direction to the drive up dock - then apply throttle to land it. I'm at the lake this weekend so I'll try it out.

As for the idle forward speed, I think I'll have the dealer add the cruise control so I can get the slow speed mode. It should have been included but, whatever. It will be useful for pulling a skier at a constant speed (now I'm looking at ways to justify spending $200).
    It DOES take a little bit getting used to. It should be adjustable I imagine, perhaps not EASILY, but should be doable. I mean, its mechanical, and there must be a rod going from the IBR motor to the bucket. This means that the rod ends (like my ATV and snowmobile) should have a bit of play in them... I'm thinking maybe a threaded end with a locking nut. Therefore, just like in my other machines (where you adjust the toe-in or toe-out), the bucket should allow adjustments as well, slightly up or slightly down, down to a thou (1/1000th of an inch) or so. I've never seen the insides of my Sea-Doo, but this only makes sense to me.

I didn't know you could ADD cruise control to it! I thought all the iControl models came with it already? I'm surprised! Anyway, I actually use Cruise Control quite a bit. I can imagine that it comes in REALLY handy when towing a skiier, since I find the throttle lever REALLY sensitive!

Well, I wouldn't mind trying it out, but with the rear submerged, I will never see it. If I don't forget, I will ask the mechanic at my dealership next time I get a chance to.

Wave,

I'm thinking the gate adjustment would be start with an electronic reading at the ECU level, using a service computer of sorts. I would assume that the computer can determine the position of the gate servo and then if the postion is allowing rearward movement, the ECU would instruct the servo to move a few degrees and then set that as the new neutral position. If the servo has to park in a particular position for neutral, then perhaps a threaded rod can be adjusted to give a different position to the gate to achieve a true stationary neutral.

For 2010, cruise control is optional on the iS and X. It was standard equipment on the 2009 iS and not available on the 2009 X. I'll be having it added. I think you would be able to feel your Sea Doo shifting from forward to neutral repeatedly, something I doubt it does, to maintain a slow speed of 1 mph. This is why I can't believe the ECU can't adjust the gate position to maintain a stationary condition at idle.

I haven't driven an iS so I don't know what the throttle mapping is like, but on the X in "sport mode" I find it so sensitive that I'm wondering how you keep from accidentally adding speed in a jerk when you encounter waves. I guess I'll have to get used to it, or drive in the lazier "touring" mode when the water s really rough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information