Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Winter Oil Change

So is it better to change the oil during the winterzing or just wait until the beginning of the season ? or does it not even matter

Engine oil that has run for the summer has acids in it from combustion. Leave it in there and the acids go to work.........

Change it before you lay it up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C
    Engine oil that has run for the summer has acids in it from combustion. Leave it in there and the acids go to work.........

Change it before you lay it up
    Kinch: what`s up bro???

Jeff C is right! the acids will ruin the oil seals and if it`s really bad etch into the bearings...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Kinch: what`s up bro???

Jeff C is right! the acids will ruin the oil seals and if it`s really bad etch into the bearings...PR...
    What if the oil olny has like 4 or 5 hours on it should u still change it ?

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP
    What if the oil olny has like 4 or 5 hours on it should u still change it ?
    Some will say nay, but I would still store it with fresh oil in it. any oil dilution or blow-by-products will contain acid, but the aditive package in the oil wouldn`t be broken down with 4-5 hours on it...
    For the money, it is still inexpensive piece of mind!...PR...

+1
    I am with everyone else on this.

Question

Hi All

I'm still very new to PWCs and, fortunately, living in Brisbane Australia I don't really have a need for wintering the ski. However, I do have a question about oil.

I've been told by some that as I have a supercharged version I should only use the branded Doo oil; by others that any "like graded oil will do"; and also by some that you can use alternatives but it must be "mineral rather than synthetic". So there's lots of advice out there .... the only problem seems to be that it is conflicting . Matters were then made worse as someone told me that the wrong oil will cause the ceramic clutch in the supercharger to fail

Would appreciate your advice

Thanks

Pete

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Synthetic oil will cause the s/c failure. It has friction modifiers that causes the failure in the s/c clutch. I've used Sea Doo oil on mine always. It would be nice though if someone can verity if theres an aftermarket oil better/cheaper than tha $6.75 per quart that Doo sells!

There are members here that use Amsoil 0W40 friction modifier free synth in their SC ski`s without issues. I think most riders under warranty use the bomb oil as I do for now bc of SC failures just to prove to BRP that you use their specially formulated oil.

Do a search on this forum, you will see many threads on this subject.

It is my theory that if you have a STOCK ski and have changed the ceramics to metal, I would give the Amsoil synth a shot, BUT if you have a heavily modded ski turning massive RPM`s then I think the metal washers would slip as well, but they won`t disintegrate and fall into the engine.

In any combusation engine enviroment, PAO synths are BETTER by far for the engine as far as lubricating and longevity principals apply!...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Some will say nay, but I would still store it with fresh oil in it. any oil dilution or blow-by-products will contain acid, but the aditive package in the oil wouldn`t be broken down with 4-5 hours on it...
    For the money, it is still inexpensive piece of mind!...PR...
    I can't remember the exact process that happens but there are some by-products of combustion that end up in the oil, sulfur being one, is mixed with moisture from condensation which forms an acid. I'm a believer in the rule to change the oil in a car every three months no matter how few miles it is driven because of this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information