Original Battery charging Q.

Hey guys,
    I have an 06 wake with a presumably original yuasa battery. Last weekend the 12volt low warning came on after about the 5th start up during riding on the river. I have a charger, new, that I put on the battery @2amp rate. It hasn't changed to the "maintaining" setting (automatic) It's been on for three days. I just tried the battery. It showed 13.66 volts after I removed the charger. It started right up, twice. Checked it again, it was down to 12.3 volts. Put it back on the charger and it is still on the charging cycle. Is it dangerous to leave it on the charger so long? Is my battery toast?Also, the battery is still in the ski. I have the positive lead of the charger attached to the + post and the neg is attached to the engine block. The ground wire however, is still attached to the neg battery post. Should I completely remove the ground wire form the neg post of battery? Is this affecting the charge?
    John

I think someone asked a similar question a few days ago.

Usual things to consider.

unscrew caps, put rag over the top of them to stop spray getting into ski.

Make sure the ski and the battery have good ventilation all-round.

Each battery cell is 2.2volts when good & charged. so multiply up to 6x.

Sounds like battery is dying slowly though if it is not managing to charge it fully.

Some say it is ok to charge in situ, but always make sure the charger connections are on the battery posts, no where else. The charger must be loaded, or it may well damage the charging system of the ski.

Thanks Richie.

+1
    Sounds like it's time for a new battery. Its not holding the charge.

I found out that although the engine charges the battery, it also actually runs itself off the battery when running. Mine would start just fine but not run. I charged it on a charger-- it would always start, then run like junk for 10 min or so-- then start to run OK. After it sat for a bit-- same scenario-- start OK, run bad. Doo shop said bad battery. I replaced the battery and no more problems. Then the other one started ... time for its' new battery.

We got about 3 1/2 years off the original batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have an 06 wake with a presumably original yuasa battery. Last weekend the 12volt low warning came on after about the 5th start up during riding on the river. I have a charger, new, that I put on the battery @2amp rate. It hasn't changed to the "maintaining" setting (automatic) It's been on for three days. I just tried the battery. It showed 13.66 volts after I removed the charger. It started right up, twice. Checked it again, it was down to 12.3 volts. Put it back on the charger and it is still on the charging cycle. Is it dangerous to leave it on the charger so long? Is my battery toast?Also, the battery is still in the ski. I have the positive lead of the charger attached to the + post and the neg is attached to the engine block. The ground wire however, is still attached to the neg battery post. Should I completely remove the ground wire form the neg post of battery? Is this affecting the charge?
    John
    I agree with other posts. these batteries have a limited capacity to start with. Mine only lasted 4 years on my first Sea Doo. I replaced it with an Interstate battery and bought a trickle charger (battery tender) that I leave connected all winter while the Sea Doo is in storage. It was 3 years old when I traded my Sea Doo and was working well. I transferred the "pigtail" connector to my 2010 RXT X and will attach the tender to the new macine each winter. I'm sure it will extend life a couple of years, but with all of the electronics these days, I'm sure life will not be much more than 4 years as well.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

12v low warning message

it's a bunch of hookey actually.

Some batteries that are still good will drop below the alert voltage for a moment when starting. I've had customers complaining that thier brand new batteries do this when starting, but the batteries test fine under load.

The only time I'd really worry about a 12v low warning is when the engine is running

If you're starter is a little tired, you can easily draw more current then spec and that could make even a great battery drop under the warning voltage for a millisecond ( which it seems is all the MPEM needs to put up that warning.

Buy a new battery if yours is a few years old...it's cheap insurnace for peace of mind..but don't freak if your brand new battery doesn't "fix" this problem.

You have to wait about 8 hours or so after charging to get a proper voltage reading. If you were showing 12.3 volts then id say your battery is about 35-40% discharged. On my first trip out I to also had the 12v low message come on. I came home checked the voltage and it was 12.38. I put my charger/maintainer on for about 4 hours. The next day I went out and checked it and the voltage was up to 12.58. I took the ski out Friday and when I came home the battery still showed 12.58. Your on the verge of having to replace the battery. If you continue to charge it be sure you have plenty of distilled water in it. Here is a chart I found that will tell you your voltage compared to percent discharged

12.6+ 100% 12.5 90% 12.42 80% 12.32 70% 12.20 60% 12.06 50% 11.9 40% 11.75 30% 11.58 20% 11.31 10% 10.5 0%

Thread Information